Andrew Daschbach has retired

Legend_Of_Joey

We sure don't have much in the homegrown 1B cupboard these days...

That leaves Maverick Handley and Kyle Stowers left from the '19 Stanford trio for the O's. Stanford had 9 guys taken that draft, that's impressive, 6 of which went in the first 11 rounds. 

I had a little hope for Daschbach after the 2021 season, but the K's and lack of contact (Which obviously go together) was brutal last season. All the best to him.

Edited by CharmCityHokie
  • Upvote 1

We brought in O’Hearn, Diaz, Terry, and Lester. Dashbach had a nice career. He was an overslot post top 10th rd pick in the first Elias draft. Stowers, Handley, and Dashbach all came from Stanford that year. In our more weak farm system days, he probably could’ve gotten everyday ABs in Bowie this year. 

Similar situations happened with Zach Watson and JD Mundy. There just wasn’t room for them. 

Dash's announcement was a conversation at a Stanford game recently and the decision to retire was made well before Diaz, Terry, Lester.  It just wasn't announce until MiLB report date.  Had to focus on his company as I guess Dash's business has a 7 figure valuation if/when sold.  So that was the business side.  Physically.... I remember Dashbach also suffered several concussions at Stanford and was hit a couple more times in Aberdeen/Bowie.  Great kid and family.  

Mundy got no money from non-draft signing so he was an easy cut to make when his performance and health couldn't keep up.  Another good kid... but not sure what he is doing after being released last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CHIP said:

Dash's announcement was a conversation at a Stanford game recently and the decision to retire was made well before Diaz, Terry, Lester.  It just wasn't announce until MiLB report date.  Had to focus on his company as I guess Dash's business has a 7 figure valuation if/when sold.  So that was the business side.  Physically.... I remember Dashbach also suffered several concussions at Stanford and was hit a couple more times in Aberdeen/Bowie.  Great kid and family.  

Mundy got no money from non-draft signing so he was an easy cut to make when his performance and health couldn't keep up.  Another good kid... but not sure what he is doing after being released last year.

Sounds like his "DubClub" business will be his main focus. Good luck to him. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-daschbach-1185931a6

Definitely adds some context to the O'Hearn, Diaz, Lester and Terry signings. Wasn't going to be enough at-bats for all of them at Norfolk, one if not two will likely be at Bowie to soak up 1B/DH/corner outfield at-bats.

Kjerstad, Rhodes and Donta' Williams are the only non-org guys likely to see any playing time at 1B/OF/DH at Bowie, at least until Beavers, Fabian and/or Trimble force their way up.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Definitely adds some context to the O'Hearn, Diaz, Lester and Terry signings. Wasn't going to be enough at-bats for all of them at Norfolk, one if not two will likely be at Bowie to soak up 1B/DH/corner outfield at-bats.

Kjerstad, Rhodes and Donta' Williams are the only non-org guys likely to see any playing time at 1B/OF/DH at Bowie, at least until Beavers, Fabian and/or Trimble force their way up.

Why Donta Williams? He's a speedy short guy who is a good defensive outfielder with a limited bat and almost no power. Seems to be a strange convert to 1B. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Why Donta Williams? He's a speedy short guy who is a good defensive outfielder with a limited bat and almost no power. Seems to be a strange convert to 1B. 

I was just listing the non-org guys who I think will end up in Bowie at outfield, 1B and DH. He and Rhodes are definitely more CF / plus corner outfielders types as opposed to 1B / minus corner outfielder types. 

My point was that the O's don't have any of the latter type at AA who are any kind of prospect, which of course isn't uncommon. Those roles tend to be taken by org guys or bat-first guys that have proven they can't handle a more difficult position defensively like Mountcastle. Even Kjerstad is (hopefully) a plus corner outfielder, unless his body has grown out of that with his seemingly newfound power.

As for Daschbach, I can't say I blame him for taking his company forward rather than spending a year making $600-700 a week at Bowie (while not being paid in Spring Training) with at most a 5 percent chance of ever even getting a cup of coffee in the Majors. 

Edited by MurphDogg