Early spring bullpen thoughts

interloper

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..oh I’m sorry. I guess you are being completely open minded and not digging your heels in and listening to what others are saying.

Tony please, you are in a house surrounded by glass. Stop throwing stones.

Oh, so Bradish changed. Guess Hall can’t do that. Got it.  

What are you even talking about? You are the only one throwing around silly and foolish. I just gave my thoughts on the situation. Not once did I say it was foolish to do as you said. I just clearly stated why I think it's time to make him a reliever. YOU decided it was foolish and silly.

The funny part is, you dig yourself so far in that can't even recognize who is throwing stones and who is not. YOU are literally the only one with the attitude of it's your way of thinking or it's foolish or silly. You and you alone. Stand on that hill and be proud if you like, but don't try to drag anyone down with you into your pit of absolute black or white.

Every time I think you've turned the corner and matured a bit, you tend to pull a 180 and regress 15 years. Your comments sound like rshields97 instead of someone who should be well above that reasoning.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What are you even talking about? You are the only one throwing around silly and foolish. I just gave my thoughts on the situation. Not once did I say it was foolish to do as you said. I just clearly stated why I think it's time to make him a reliever. YOU decided it was foolish and silly.

The funny part is, you dig yourself so far in that can't even recognize who is throwing stones and who is not. YOU are literally the only one with the attitude of it's your way of thinking or it's foolish or silly. You and you alone. Stand on that hill and be proud if you like, but don't try to drag anyone down with you into your pit of absolute black or white.

Every time I think you've turned the corner and matured a bit, you tend to pull a 180 and regress 15 years. Your comments sound like rshields97 instead of someone who should be well above that reasoning.

This post is absolutely hilarious. Then irony is amazing. 

You are essentially bashing me because I’m not agreeing with you and yet you are accusing me of not listening.  Give me a break.  I know you hate it when people disagree with you and for whatever reason , you take it personally when anyone questions you as if we should just bow down to what you say and have no other opinion other than yours.

But yes, I think it’s completely foolish to end the Hall starter experiment. 

I know, you are the only one on here who understands command and control issues and that he has been hurt.  No one else knows that or understands that.  But here’s the thing Tony, some of us see that but still think he deserves more time because, and here’s the real key part, you can put him at reliever at any point. 

I know that’s all crazy to say that being patient with an incredible arm is a smart way to go but I believe it is. My mistake for going against your opinion but I’m more than fine with it.

Again, he may end up in the pen. Hell, I was on the trade him bandwagon 2 years ago. But he’s here and still has great stuff and we still have very little starting pitching depth. I’m not ready to give up on him yet, as a starter. That may change in 2-4 months but not today.

Edited by Sports Guy

I think they'll keep Politi as the last bullpen piece, send Hall to AAA, and then when someone goes down/is ineffective, they'll assess options.  I think one overarching goal is to keep as much talent in the org for as long as possible.  That might cost Hall a bullpen spot on OD.  Sure, games in April matter too.  But the playoff hunt percentages are more of a predictor later in the year than they are in April.

11 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I think they'll keep Politi as the last bullpen piece, send Hall to AAA, and then when someone goes down/is ineffective, they'll assess options.  I think one overarching goal is to keep as much talent in the org for as long as possible.  That might cost Hall a bullpen spot on OD.  Sure, games in April matter too.  But the playoff hunt percentages are more of a predictor later in the year than they are in April.

Do you think Politi is good enough to hold down a spot out of ST?  I'm aware he's a rule 5 guy so we'd have to give him back if he's not on the roster out of ST.  But I do believe we're past the point in the rebuild where we're clinging to Rule 5 guys that would be on the bubble otherwise.

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 1

I don’t think either using Hall as a starter in Norfolk or using him in the bullpen in Baltimore would be wrong.  It’s debatable either way.   Personally, I’d start the year with Hall in Norfolk at this point, but I’m not going to think it’s crazy if they go the other way.  

I still don't understand why Hall and GRod can't be a tandem rotation piece. It allows you to manage GRod's innings early in the year so he has room to run late if we are in the playoffs. It allows you to keep Hall on a starter rotation in 2-3 inning increments focused of fewer pitches. Call it opener, tandem, piggyback, whatever. He had success in 1-2 inning appearances end of last year, build off that. He can work on secondary pitches up here. We have plenty of BP depth with 3 long guys if the starters stumble. Then we decide how it all is working when Tate comes back and later when Means comes back. Nothing is cast in concrete this way. Where is the negative, I just can't see it????

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I still don't understand why Hall and GRod can't be a tandem rotation piece. It allows you to manage GRod's innings early in the year so he has room to run late if we are in the playoffs. It allows you to keep Hall on a starter rotation in 2-3 inning increments focused of fewer pitches. Call it opener, tandem, piggyback, whatever. He had success in 1-2 inning appearances end of last year, build off that. He can work on secondary pitches up here. We have plenty of BP depth with 3 long guys if the starters stumble. Then we decide how it all is working when Tate comes back and later when Means comes back. Nothing is cast in concrete this way. Where is the negative, I just can't see it????

If you're going to limit Hall's availability to only when G-Rod pitches, then you're essentially down a man in the bullpen for the rest of the games.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Baker seems to be pitching his way off the opening day roster.  I was expecting him to fill in for Tate while he is out as back end guy but he is having an awful spring.  

You have to think something is up with him. Might need some DL and a lengthy rehab. 

Akin had two shutout innings the other day, 0.00 ERA.

Gillaspie has also been good. Maybe making a bid for Baker's spot? 

Nolan Hoffman has 0.00 ERA and 4 SV this spring. Keep an eye on him?

Vespi appearance today. He could sneak back into the mix. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If you're going to limit Hall's availability to only when G-Rod pitches, then you're essentially down a man in the bullpen for the rest of the games.

Exactly this, if you're going to exclusively piggyback two starters, you basically have to pray it all goes right for both of them every 5 days or you're going to blow your bullpen up if one of the two short-starters gets blown out earlier than planned. With the limits on how many pitchers you can have in the 'pen with the new rules, it's a really tough strategy to viably pull off over a full season.

Edited by CharmCityHokie

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Correct but if it worked then the tandem would likely pitch more innings reducing the BP load to the 4 backend guys. Then you have reinforcement when Tate comes back. If the tandem doesn't work the you have Akin, Wells, Voth to pickup the innings until Means is ready.  For an experimental concept we have the backup parts in hand already just in case. If it works we have a 2-headed monster with TOR stuff coming from opposite sides. If Hall is working you let him go longer any given day. Why not try??? 

10 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Correct but if it worked then the tandem would likely pitch more innings reducing the BP load to the 4 backend guys. Then you have reinforcement when Tate comes back. If the tandem doesn't work the you have Akin, Wells, Voth to pickup the innings until Means is ready.  For an experimental concept we have the backup parts in hand already just in case. If it works we have a 2-headed monster with TOR stuff coming from opposite sides. If Hall is working you let him go longer any given day. Why not try??? 

You've been given several reasons but you keep asking. If Hall is in the bullpen he should pitch whenever he is rested and it's situationally appropriate. It doesn't matter who is pitching that day. If he can help us win he should pitch instead of waiting around to pitch the same day as Grayson while stressing the rest of the bullpen. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure, but if Hall does his job (I actually think Voth might do this piggyback thing) you are saving the rest of the bullpen on that night.  Either way, GRod is probably only going 5 or 6 at the most and someone has to pitch those other 3 innings.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

You've been given several reasons but you keep asking. If Hall is in the bullpen he should pitch whenever he is rested and it's situationally appropriate. It doesn't matter who is pitching that day. If he can help us win he should pitch instead of waiting around to pitch the same day as Grayson while stressing the rest of the bullpen. 

It has ben stated that it would stress the BP and I have disagreed with that. With the depth and flexibility we have on hand, I can't see that really being a problem early in the year. If it doesn't work out send Hall to AAA to start or let him convert to a RP up here. All I am trying to do keep him on a SP rotation in the MLB until we decide he needs to switch to RP. I really believe we have the luxury to do that early in the year and the flexibility to change course if it doesn't work, long before the BP gets stressed.