Corbin Carroll 8/111….

Moose Milligan

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

The Orioles should offer Henderson the same deal as Carroll and Rutschman a bit more (8 yrs / $120M?). I doubt Henderson signs though because he's repped by Boras. Same with Holliday unfortunately. 

We’ll see..I don’t think we get the cheaper 9th year option but an 8 year deal still has Gunnar being a FA at a young-ish age and he could still get a major deal then.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We’ll see..I don’t think we get the cheaper 9th year option but an 8 year deal still has Gunnar being a FA at a young-ish age and he could still get a major deal then.

I guess there's a "chance" with Henderson, but probably not much of one with Holliday. He comes from money so I can't imagine he cares much about having (or needing) a safety net. Our only hope is that he falls in love with the City / team, but it's probably a long shot. I guess these are all things the team needs to really consider as they determine who they want to trade to fill other needs. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I guess there's a "chance" with Henderson, but probably not much of one with Holliday. He comes from money so I can't imagine he cares much about having (or needing) a safety net. Our only hope is that he falls in love with the City / team, but it's probably a long shot. I guess these are all things the team needs to really consider as they determine who they want to trade to fill other needs. 

I disagree about Holliday. That’s not his money. 

On top of that, he could sign an 8 year deal and be a FA at age 28. That’s the same age as most FAs. He can easily get a massive contract.

What you won’t see Boras guys do is sign a 10 year deal. It’s either 7-8 years or 15. Nothing in between.

It’s not like Boras clients haven’t signed extensions before.

Edited by Sports Guy

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

My fear is we’re headed more towards the Tampa Bay Rays model and we’ll see Adley traded before free agency instead of an early extension.

I hope to be proven wrong on this take. 

That's always a fear until we see how things play out. I still think we'll see more of an Astros model.  Occasional extension but a willingness to let players walk away rather than commit to deals into players mid 30s and beyond.  Maybe it's wishful thinking, but this is the approach I hope the Orioles take.  

If a player is willing to buy out a year or two of FA (or more) they have done extensions (Altuve/Bregman) but have also been also perfectly willing to let guys like Correa and Springer play out their years of control and either let them walk or trade them at the tail end of that. They've shown a good level of discipline without being swayed by fans reactions.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What you won’t see Boras guys do is sign a 10 year deal. It’s either 7-8 years or 15. Nothing in between.

It’s not like Boras clients haven’t signed extensions before.

Boras has been vocal about his distaste for extensions buying out arb and free agent years that 'snuff out' the market.  I can't recall any that he's done but maybe I forgetting someone.  Did you have any of the 7-8 year ones in mind that would give some hope that there is potential to do that with one of the Orioles pre-arb players or prospects?