Roster moves at the end of ST

wildcard

26 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'd go with Baumann and Gillaspie over Krehbiel. Especially in a place like Fenway Park. Krehbiel just doesn't have enough juice to prevent himself from getting knocked around the ballpark. Especially in hitter's parks.

Krehbiel reminds me of Tommy "HR" Hunter

I find this mildly interesting. I figured they'd look at Krehbiel's late spring improvement and pick the guy with more experience. But Gillaspie did technically out-pitch him. 

The bullpen will now feature two guys with not a lot of experience in a ML bullpen, but each has decent upside. 

Edited by interloper

10 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Is Seth Johnson on the 40 man roster? 

I believe you get ML service time and salary once you're added to the 60-day IL. They want to delay that as long as possible for him this year. Guys on the 40-man but in the minors make a lot less than ML minimum.

• Like 1

When Mike Elias likes a guy, he likes a guy whether it makes any sense or not. The fact that Bemboom, he of the career .496 OPS in 206 major league PAs and .418 and .642 OPS last year with the Orioles and Norfolk respectively, is your backup catcher after McCann went down with the same injury he had last year kinda speaks to Elias' offseason woes.

Elias claimed what, three separate catchers off waivers late in the season last year and early in the offseason and still ended up with Bemboom as his backup option when McCann went down this spring. 

No wonder he was such a priority sign for Elias this offseason. I mean, it's extraordinarily hard to find an average defensive backup catcher who can't hit at all. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, interloper said:

I find this mildly interesting. I figured they'd look at Krehbiel's late spring improvement and pick the guy with more experience. But Gillaspie did technically out-pitch him. 

The bullpen will now feature two guys with not a lot of experience in a ML bullpen, but each has decent upside. 

I'm a little surprised as well, but they are similar level pitchers anyways. Kind of that last guy in the bullpen who can throw you some 5th and 6th innings though Krehbiel at times last year was very good. I think we'll still see both up and down this year.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

When Mike Elias likes a guy, he likes a guy whether it makes any sense or not. The fact that Bemboom, he of the career .496 OPS in 206 major league PAs and .418 and .642 OPS last year with the Orioles and Norfolk respectively, is your backup catcher after McCann went down with the same injury he had last year kinda speaks to Elias' offseason woes.

Elias claimed what, three separate catchers off waivers late in the season last year and early in the offseason and still ended up with Bemboom as his backup option when McCann went down this spring. 

No wonder he was such a priority sign for Elias this offseason. I mean, it's extraordinarily hard to find an average defensive backup catcher who can't hit at all. 

He bats left-handed!!!!!

• Haha 1