Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

2 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Frazier is reading this thread and is offended you discount his hitting ability.  He leads off the Blue Jays series with another jack.  

Awesome. I hope he continues to take offense and keeps hitting jacks!

• Haha 1

Frazier is a vet who has playoff experience and it is kind of hard to measure the value he has in a clubhouse with so many young players. Hopefully some of the fans realize he was a good signing and limit the amount of criticism he gets. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Conway12 said:

I thought that as well. But his DRS (which is what I always thought BRef used) is negative at 2B for the year and his UZR (which is what Fangraphs uses) is positive at 2B for the year. So I didn't think that was it. 

Fangraphs changed their formula to use OAA in 2022, and went back retroactively to recalculate WAR based on OAA for the years that the stat is available.  OAA is grading Frazier pretty awfully, so that would explain why Fangraphs is not impressed with him.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hallas said:

Fangraphs changed their formula to use OAA in 2022, and went back retroactively to recalculate WAR based on OAA for the years that the stat is available.  OAA is grading Frazier pretty awfully, so that would explain why Fangraphs is not impressed with him.

This is the correct answer. I checked Fangraphs glossary yesterday to see what they used to calculate position player WAR and it still says they use UZR. But they have a blog post in 2022 about how they changed to OAA. I wished they updated their glossary. I use it a lot to figure out what the acronym of the day actually means. 

19 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

The eye test and OPS+ makes me feel that the Fangraphs WAR is more accurate. Frazier is a below average hitter/scrub, and Westburg would be an upgrade over him whenever Westburg is finally promoted.

I completely disagree with your evaluation of Frazier’s performance to date.  He’s got a 110 sOPS+ at 2B (split at 2B relative to all others who play the position).   So, he’s been above average with the bat for a 2B, and by no means scrub level.   

Personally, I feel the rWAR is a bit high, the fWAR is a bit low, and the truth is somewhere in between.  But Frazier is by no means a scrub.  

Now, would Westburg or Ortiz be better?  That’s a whole different conversation that I don’t feel like having for the 1,000th time this year.  

• Upvote 4

Right now, his slash is identical to his 2022 with Seattle with exception of his slugging, which is .100 points higher (.410 vs .311). 

So, while I don't think we're looking at a return to his All Star form, we are definitely getting a more useful player than what Seattle had, at least for the moment.

Other things of interest:

2022 OAA - 91 percentile
2023 OAA - 2 percentile

2022 Arm Strength - 61 
2023 Arm Strength - 5

His xSLG, xwOBA, and Barrel are all slightly up this year, but all still pretty blue. 

Something appears to be killing him with the OAA and Arm Strength compared to last year. It's so drastic a drop off to almost seem erroneous. His arm does seem weak, but can it really be that much weaker than last year?

Edited by interloper

11 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Frazier might be matching or surpassing his All Star season but I'm too lazy to look it up. Nevertheless when he keeps hitting home runs like this I am inspired to vote for him in the All Star game as an Orioles fan.

Home Run wise, but he was a hit machine for a few seasons with Pittsburgh.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I completely disagree with your evaluation of Frazier’s performance to date.  He’s got a 110 sOPS+ at 2B (split at 2B relative to all others who play the position).   So, he’s been above average with the bat for a 2B, and by no means scrub level.   

Personally, I feel the rWAR is a bit high, the fWAR is a bit low, and the truth is somewhere in between.  But Frazier is by no means a scrub.  

Now, would Westburg or Ortiz be better?  That’s a whole different conversation that I don’t feel like having for the 1,000th time this year.  

For the salary, that production makes him a scrub. I've qualified that in previous posts, but not specifically in that one you quoted. Although I did point out that he's overpaid - which he most certainly is - in that particular post.

I honestly would much prefer Odor and his production for his salary last year to Frazier's production and salary this year, and that's a pathetic reflection of Frazier and the decision Elias made to sign him.

Edited by Brooks The Great