Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

I wasn't sold on Frazier before and I didn't understand why they signed him when they had 3 capable players of handling 2nd base. But after seeing him in 2 games, I'm sold. Consider me impressed. He might not hit a home run much outside of Fenway, but he looks like a doubles / on base machine.

31 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I wasn't sold on Frazier before and I didn't understand why they signed him when they had 3 capable players of handling 2nd base. But after seeing him in 2 games, I'm sold. Consider me impressed. He might not hit a home run much outside of Fenway, but he looks like a doubles / on base machine.

He’s only been over 30 doubles twice in his career. He has had a solid OBP for much of his career but over his last 800 or so at bats, it’s pretty poor.

Last year, he had a 5 game stretch in April where he had 11 hits, including 2 doubles and a triple.

He had 8 multi hits games last May, including 3 3 hit games, in a month that he had an OPS of almost 730.

In other words, in the midst of a completely awful offensive season last year, Frazier had stretches where he played like an AS, which is what you expect from a pro athlete.

Not sure why you are “sold” after 2 games when we all know full well that these guys are always going to have games and stretches where they look very good. The question is, can he do it for a full season?

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

On 3/31/2023 at 2:00 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

My issue isn’t the $8 million we gave Frazier. It’s the thought process of Elias. He trades away Jorge Looez last year because he was hitting the last two years of arb. That Lopez trade hurt us last year, and it’s going to hurt us this year. So Bautista took of vet Lopez as closer. However, who is taking over for Bautista for RH set up?  So was the Jorge Lopez trade worth it, considering we were so close to the WC last year, and should contend this year?

Hindisight is 20/20, but it looks like we would’ve been better off keeping Lopez in MR/SU, filling out the IF with a combo of in house options, not signing Givens for $7 million, then spending the $15 million on another SP. 

We could be stacked right now if we would’ve signed a pitcher and added $15 million in salary. With Lopez and Wells in MR/SU. 

Elias hasn’t had good resource allocation. You don’t just trade away relievers that throw 99 mph sinkers. Not when your window is just opening. You also don’t sign FAs when the strength of your org is MI. 

The real shame is going to be that we might have to turn to GR for MR, and give him the Gausman treatment. It’s going to get really frustrating watching the Lineup and SP give us leads with this bullpen. 

I don't see Grayson going to the bullpen, regardless.  DL Hall maybe. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s only been over 30 doubles twice in his career. He has had a solid OBP for much of his career but over his last 800 or so at bats, it’s pretty poor.

Last year, he had a 5 game stretch in April where he had 11 hits, including 2 doubles and a triple.

He had 8 multi hits games last May, including 3 3 hit games, in a month that he had an OPS of almost 730.

In other words, in the midst of a completely awful offensive season last year, Frazier had stretches where he played like an AS, which is what you expect from a pro athlete.

Not sure why you are “sold” after 2 games when we all know full well that these guys are always going to have games and stretches where they look very good. The question is, can he do it for a full season?

Yes.. he can.   Probably not .667 

Edited by tntoriole

13 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Good post.   I personally expect a decent bounce-back from Frazier this year, but two games doesn’t really prove anything about how he’ll do.   It does temporarily silence those who expected him to be terrible.  In my opinion, if the O’s get a .700ish OPS and 2ish WAR from him, then they got what they paid for.  Whether they should have paid for it, given the other alternatives, is a separate question.  

One thing that stuck out to me over the weekend I think it was Kevin Brown who mentioned it but it was said that Frazier has been a first half guy in particular 21? when he made the all star team.  My first reaction to hearing that was thinking maybe Elias made the signing with the plan to flip him before the deadline.  Who knows, just a thought.

7 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

One thing that stuck out to me over the weekend I think it was Kevin Brown who mentioned it but it was said that Frazier has been a first half guy in particular 21? when he made the all star team.  My first reaction to hearing that was thinking maybe Elias made the signing with the plan to flip him before the deadline.  Who knows, just a thought.

For his career, Frazier has a .728 OPS in the 1st half and a .749 OPS in the 2nd half.    They might flip him but I think Elias and whoever actually liked Frazier for whatever reason and wanted to slow play Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby.

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good post.   I personally expect a decent bounce-back from Frazier this year, but two games doesn’t really prove anything about how he’ll do.   It does temporarily silence those who expected him to be terrible.  In my opinion, if the O’s get a .700ish OPS and 2ish WAR from him, then they got what they paid for.  Whether they should have paid for it, given the other alternatives, is a separate question.  

Right. I’m expecting a performance that you said. I actually don’t think think he will be a 620 OPS guy although that’s possible. I think he will be better than that.

I just don’t care. Much rather have other people there and that 8M spent elsewhere.