New rules impact on stolen bases

ChuckS

I was skeptical that the new rules would have a huge net impact on the game, but if today’s game is any indication, the impact will be huge.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen four uncontested stolen bases in one game, let alone one inning.

I can see Mullins and Mateo each stealing 50+ under the new rules. Another reason why we may not see Mateo’s playing time reduced by much. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

It may help,  but if he's not on base,  he can't steal them.   The bat,  not the rule changes, should determine how much he plays. 

Goes without saying. I just think the new rules are going to be looked at as another factor in his favor by Hyde and Elias. 

One random side effect of the pitch clock rule. 

Seemed like it totally changed the way the broadcast shows replays. It used to be they had all kinds of time to show different angles and perspectives. Now they had to pay attention to actual game play while showing replays in PiP displays

• Upvote 2

I mean Frazier, the Os practically stole the guy and all he did today was get on base and make a steal that wasn’t even fair to the other team. He was 3/4 of the way before the ball was released. 
On a more serious note, this team is built perfect for taking advantage of the new rules. Bucks head may explode this year with TTP. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I think Brown said SB attempts were up 50% in the spring. Could have been just experimenting but they must have seen something they like. The O's have the speed to take advantage.

There were similar numbers in the minor leagues where they had the same rules. Last year there were 0.51 steals/game, I expect this year we'll have about 0.75.  That's about the rate from 1990, and as high as the rate has ever been in the live-ball era. The only times with appreciably more steals were prior to 1920.

5 hours ago, Explosivo said:

And suddenly Mateo’s value skyrockets! 

Does it? Last year he was +5 runs on the bases.  In Vince Coleman's season where he stole 107 and was caught just 14 times he was +17. I think it's plausible Mateo could add another five runs of value this year, but that depends on him getting on base.