Winter 2023 40-Man Additions

luismatos4prez

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I remember telling people Tanner Scott was going nowhere when they said he should be released. They give guys with plus velocity a lot of room. Moreover, if the other offerings are average to plus there’s something with which to work regardless of what the stats say from a particular season. 

I misread this originally as you saying that Tanner Scott was going "nowhere," as in as a player rather than being released. Lol.

Anyway, Tanner Scott is worth 3.3 WAR according to BBREF this year. Lol. So I *think* that means you were right. :)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scottta01.shtml 

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I misread this originally as you saying that Tanner Scott was going "nowhere," as in as a player rather than being released. Lol.

Anyway, Tanner Scott is worth 3.3 WAR according to BBREF this year. Lol. So I *think* that means you were right. :)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scottta01.shtml 

Even the best FO miss on some guys, and even poor FO hit on some guys.

It's the nature of the beast and part of the reason it's silly to fixate on "winning" trades.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think you’re right.  There’s a good chance none of them are protected.   I liked what I saw of Brandon Young.  Being that he’s RH I think the odds are low that someone would take him as a bullpen piece.  If the Orioles really like him and have plenty of 40 man space, maybe they protect him?

I agree.  Young is a possibility.

The O's could use a back up catcher with options.  Handley has a high OBP and a strong arm.  That his pluses.

Haskin is a 2nd rounder but they have to look at his 2022 numbers and just chalk up 2023 to injuries.

On 9/28/2023 at 10:32 AM, MurphDogg said:

Zimmermann also is not arbitration eligible and has options remaining, but hasn't pitched as well this year in Baltimore or Norfolk, so his roster spot is at risk with additions, but no need to non-tender him until we need the space since he won't make more than the minimum.

Good post. One nitpick. I’m pretty sure Zimm has used three option years. Maybe he sticks until Spring training, but I don’t see a role for him on the big club with no options. 

Edited by Jammer7
Forgot something.

• 1 month later...

Self-shout out here. I correctly guessed the 5 players that were added to the 40-man last year and the 0 players this year. It's fun for me to track throughout the year. I'll see if I can make it 3 straight years next year.

Mayo, Povich, Norby, McDermott, Armbreuster, Rhodes, and Haskin are the early candidates.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Self-shout out here. I correctly guessed the 5 players that were added to the 40-man last year and the 0 players this year. It's fun for me to track throughout the year. I'll see if I can make it 3 straight years next year.

Mayo, Povich, Norby, McDermott, Armbreuster, Rhodes, and Haskin are the early candidates.

Much deeper class than this year.  I’d say the first four are odds-on to be protected.  We’ll see about the other three.  Carter Baumler could be a candidate if he has a healthy 2024.  

18 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Good job not falling for the several impending doom threads of the 40 man roster crunch.  

50 minutes ago, baltfan said:

The Orioles added no one to the 40 in advance of the Rule 5 and have only 36 on the 40 man.  Interesting that they don't think enough of the available guys to add to their salary by putting them on the 40.

Once you put them on, you start their options, and risk losing them if you need the 40 man space later.  I don’t want to lose anyone and I doubt that we do.