DL Hall 2023

justD

7 hours ago, emmett16 said:

With this FO I half expect him to show up in Tampa to pitch tomorrow. 

I would think if Hall was able to look effective on the mound they would have him out there to up his trade value. I hope Hall doesn't go the way of Hunter Harvey who they got tired of waiting on, DFA'd him, and watch him become a pretty good reliever with another team.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I would think if Hall was able to look effective on the mound they would have him out there to up his trade value. I hope Hall doesn't go the way of Hunter Harvey who they got tired of waiting on, DFA'd him, and watch him become a pretty good reliever with another team.

I’d love to know what’s going on there.  Strange situation.  They were really building him up (videos on social media) like he was going to be a main feature this year.  Feel bad for the young man, he’s not a young pup anymore.  Hope his head is in a good place. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

No news is bad news in this situation.  If the velocity was back I think we would have heard about it.   If not, it’s kind of a mystery.

Ironic, I was just thinking the same thing.  Often no news is good news, but the silence tells me the velocity/arm strength isn't close to being back or he'd be pitching in real games with AAA again.  Even if he wasn't in the O's immediate plans, at least he'd be showcased for possible trades coming up soon.  Very disappointing for who was our best pitching prospect in the system.

Just now, Gurgi said:

All I heard was he was lifting heavy or something.  

He had a lower back injury (don't know how) that prevented him from doing his normal off-season weight lifting program to build strength. He was just getting over that when ST started so he was not at full strength.

I'm pretty sure they could still put him in the pen right now (assuming health) and he'd be effective. But the Orioles would rather move mountains on their way to hell and back than stop trying to make DL Hall a starter.

Stop trying to make starter happen. It's never going to happen.

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I'm pretty sure they could still put him in the pen right now (assuming health) and he'd be effective. But the Orioles would rather move mountains on their way to hell and back than stop trying to make DL Hall a starter.

Stop trying to make starter happen. It's never going to happen.

You think they would rather have him in Florida right now instead of the bullpen? I think they would love to have an effective Hall in the bullpen right now. That’s exactly what they need. Hall is very messed up. He would be with the Orioles if he wasn’t. 

As soon as they sent him to Sarasota I had the mindset that anything he could provide this year would be a bonus. If the velo comes back this year maybe he can be a surprise force in the bullpen. If not, hopefully a healthy offseason will bring it back.  And if still not, he's unfortunately not much of a prospect anymore.

Its interesting how in a career a switch can flip from bubble wrap to air it out, and I wonder if Hall is getting there.

He's spent most of a decade being rationed and here we are at age 24.8.

There is still a tinfoil hat on my shelf wondering if this is tradecraft, he's going to be high 90's for like 5 innings in mid-late September, and then one of the tournament A relievers.

5 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

You think they would rather have him in Florida right now instead of the bullpen? I think they would love to have an effective Hall in the bullpen right now. That’s exactly what they need. Hall is very messed up. He would be with the Orioles if he wasn’t. 

He had his velocity as a reliever, if I recall. They just seem hell-bent on making him a starter and it's been a pretty obvious case of square peg, round hole for a while now.