Anthony Santander 2023

interloper

On 8/30/2023 at 10:49 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Did Mickey have consecutive seasons with the Orioles hitting 25+ Home Runs or over 70 RBis?

No, but only because of a stupid trade by the Orioles and Tigers. The Orioles traded him for Jeff Robinson who basically gave them 1/2 season (20 starts,..100 innings) of 5.00+ era pitching.

This seemed like an intentional pitch to me. When he got hit that was my first instinct. I am normally not that guy but if you watch the replay he kinda stares down Santander. Also with the context Bradish hit there best hitter and he had to leave the game. If Santander misses extended time this could be a huge moment in the season.

4 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

This seemed like an intentional pitch to me. When he got hit that was my first instinct. I am normally not that guy but if you watch the replay he kinda stares down Santander. Also with the context Bradish hit there best hitter and he had to leave the game. If Santander misses extended time this could be a huge moment in the season.

And did you hear Jim Palmer's reaction when Santander got hit: "No, no, no, no." He might have felt it was intentional too.

Just now, TopGunnar said:

I hope we throw at one of their guys today. We saw the impact of losing Markakis. It might’ve even cost us a World Series in 2014. Santander is our best hitter. Can’t let that go unscathed 

Great idea. Maybe then Arizona will throw at Gunnar or Adley. Then we can just go back and forth throwing at everyone until both teams are done. We have nothing to lose right?

5 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I hope we throw at one of their guys today. We saw the impact of losing Markakis. It might’ve even cost us a World Series in 2014. Santander is our best hitter. Can’t let that go unscathed 

Pretty sure Markakis got hit in 2012 so it had no impact whatsoever on the 2014 World Series. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

A nice year for Santander with 2.7 fWAR, 3.0 rWAR, 70 extra base hits, and a 121 OPS+. In my opinion, it was his best year to date. He is also now 26th all time in home runs with the Orioles.

He’s also seems to be an important clubhouse presence, which I think the organization values. On last week’s episode of the Adam Jones Podcast, Andy Kostka stated that Santander is “a very valuable guy to talk to for the young players . . . [he’s who] other players bounce ideas off of, and see what does Santander think about something, and if he thinks it, they’ll probably think it to.” 

He also homered against some good pitchers this year…

I couldn’t be happier for Santander that he is going to get to experience the playoffs this year. I think/hope he has a few big hits in that bat.

• Upvote 1