Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He put up 3.4 WAR last year with a .646 OPS. How many wins is 100 points of OPS worth? 

That would of course be dependent upon postion.

I'm just guesstimating and simplifying here but 100 points of OPS might mean 1-2 WAR, whereas 100 points at SS might be 2-3 WAR.

Siera Santos on Intentional Talk just did a fantastic job interviewing Mateo, with just a small assist from Brandon Quinones.    It was my first encounter with a MLB Network interview where for the broadcast quality she posed many of the questions in both Spanish and English, and it really seemed to help him open up.

I did not know we had signed his brother last winter, or that the O's had helped him do a charity event in his hometown, or that Miguel Andujar is an older brother figure from his time in the Minors, or that his nickname is Rambo after his berserker style in Call of Duty, or that singing is his secret talent.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Siera Santos on Intentional Talk just did a fantastic job interviewing Mateo, with just a small assist from Brandon Quinones.    It was my first encounter with a MLB Network interview where for the broadcast quality she posed many of the questions in both Spanish and English, and it really seemed to help him open up.

I did not know we had signed his brother last winter, or that the O's had helped him do a charity event in his hometown, or that Miguel Andujar is an older brother figure from his time in the Minors, or that his nickname is Rambo after his berserker style in Call of Duty, or that singing is his secret talent.

I hope they post this on their youtube channel.

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

That would of course be dependent upon postion.

I'm just guesstimating and simplifying here but 100 points of OPS might mean 1-2 WAR, whereas 100 points at SS might be 2-3 WAR.

That’s not how it works, the position runs are unconnected to the batting runs.  WAR, whether its Baseball Reference or Fangraphs, is based on total of runs assigned to several discreet categories.  For example, Baseball Reference has six components for position players: Batting Runs, Baserunning Runs, Runs added or lost due to Grounding into Double Plays in DP situations, Fielding Runs, Positional Adjustment Runs, Replacement level Runs (based on playing time).  These categories are abbreviated as Rbat, Rbaser, Rdp, Rfield, Rpos, and RAA.  See “Player Value—Batting” at the following link:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mateojo01.shtml

How those assigned runs are determined is beyond me, but my understanding is that the runs are based on proprietary information.

Getting back to Mateo, he was -13 Rbat last year.  If his OPS is around .750 for a full season, his Rbat would probably be around +10 (this is just a guess since its not some direct formula tied to OPS).  That’s a 2.3 swing, so my rough guess would be about 2 WAR.

5 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

That’s not how it works, the position runs are unconnected to the batting runs.  WAR, whether its Baseball Reference or Fangraphs, is based on total of runs assigned to several discreet categories.  For example, Baseball Reference has six components for position players: Batting Runs, Baserunning Runs, Runs added or lost due to Grounding into Double Plays in DP situations, Fielding Runs, Positional Adjustment Runs, Replacement level Runs (based on playing time).  These categories are abbreviated as Rbat, Rbaser, Rdp, Rfield, Rpos, and RAA.  See “Player Value—Batting” at the following link:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mateojo01.shtml

How those assigned runs are determined is beyond me, but my understanding is that the runs are based on proprietary information.

Getting back to Mateo, he was -13 Rbat last year.  If his OPS is around .750 for a full season, his Rbat would probably be around +10 (this is just a guess since its not some direct formula tied to OPS).  That’s a 2.3 swing, so my rough guess would be about 2 WAR.

My understanding is the Batting value is scaled to the position they play.  I'm fully open to the possibility I'm wrong.