Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

I think my problem with Mateo is we got him for free on waivers so I kind of keep expecting the wheels to totally come off the wagon.   Maybe he is just a late bloomer.  I remember Melvin Mora.  He just took off in Baltimore for whatever reason and was amazing.  

Maybe all Mateo needed was a long chance?  Who knows?  He surely didnt get that chance in San Diego.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

With him playing like this or anywhere close. It makes Joey Ortiz an expendable asset that we can use to package to go get a real pitcher at the deadline.

2B will come open when Frazier is traded.  He is on a one year contract and if they can get something in trade he is gone later this season.  Ortiz, Urias, Westburg can battle it out.

14 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

With him playing like this or anywhere close. It makes Joey Ortiz an expendable asset that we can use to package to go get a real pitcher at the deadline.

The question might become do we keep him and trade Ortiz this season or because we are a small market team does him hitting arbitration next year and him starting to cost more do we move Mateo. Who could be a center piece for front line starter that would be cheaper then trying to sign one in free agency.  If he hits .280 plays same defense as last year, OBP .350+ with 15-20 homers and 60+ steals can he be main piece to get someone like Burns?  

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What do we do with him?  Weapon.  5 tools. Can’t leave him in the 9 hole. I like him leadoff with Mullins behind him. 

Leave him alone and let him settle into his talent. At the end of May if he is still "this guy" make the move. He was top 100 9 times, in 2016 was the top NYY prospect per BA, ahead of some guy named Judge. He was traded by NYY for Sony Gray, then to SD where he sat behind All Stars until being picked off the scrap heap by us. I'm a firm believer that top 100 talent is really in there, let's have some patience to see if it manifest itself.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The question might become do we keep him and trade Ortiz this season or because we are a small market team does him hitting arbitration next year and him starting to cost more do we move Mateo. Who could be a center piece for front line starter that would be cheaper then trying to sign one in free agency.  If he hits .280 plays same defense as last year, OBP .350+ with 15-20 homers and 60+ steals can he be main piece to get someone like Burns?  

Mateo is not going anywhere this season.  The O's need to get Ortiz and Westburg to the majors and see what they have.  I don't see either traded any time soon.

O's are developing front line starters.  GRod, Means, Bradish, Wells, Hall.  Maybe even Kremer.  Just because they are not finished products yet don't discount them.  Gibson can be a very good first half starter.  His problems come in the 2nd half.

25 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I think my problem with Mateo is we got him for free on waivers so I kind of keep expecting the wheels to totally come off the wagon.   Maybe he is just a late bloomer.  I remember Melvin Mora.  He just took off in Baltimore for whatever reason and was amazing.  Maybe all Mateo needed was a long chance?  Who knows?  He surely didn't get that chance in San Diego.

He went from being the top NYY ranked prospect in 2016 (ahead of Judge) to freaking Oakland in the Sonny Gray trade. When he didn't lite up AAA they sent him to SD where was rightfully buried behind All Stars. His fall from the prospect pinnacle was a business decision by NYY. He started getting his feet under him last summer with the new hitting coaches. His bat had been his calling card. His defense, to my eye, is phenomenal. He is my SS until Jackson is ready and maybe you consider moving one of them to CF. 😮😮😲

The more I watch Mateo this year,  the more I have to ask myself - are we going to get any more out of Henderson or Holladay than what Mateo brings?  Maybe it's not Mateo that should be dangled as trade bait?  He is playing phenomenal baseball right now.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

2B will come open when Frazier is traded.  He is on a one year contract and if they can get something in trade he is gone later this season.  Ortiz, Urias, Westburg can battle it out.

Frazier has little to no trade value. It would be a safe bet to not put any eggs in that basket. Instead of letting those 3 battle it out. IMO the better play would be for the Front Office to figure out who they think is the best of the 3. And then package the other 2 in a deadline deal for a real starting pitcher. Not a Gibson or Irvin type, but a needle mover who can actually help us get to and win in the postseason. 

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

The more I watch Mateo this year,  the more I have to ask myself - are we going to get any more out of Henderson or Holladay than what Mateo brings?  Maybe it's not Mateo that should be dangled as trade bait?  He is playing phenomenal baseball right now.  

I am on record as a BIG Mateo homer but, his bat was his calling card as a prospect. He dedicated himself to changing last summer and for 6-8 weeks it worked. IF, and it's a big IF, he has succeeded in re-working his approach at the plate, he is an All Star. With his speed and arm, maybe a transition to CF may be the future for one of Jorge or Jackson.