Samuel Basallo 2023

Tony-OH

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Frobby said:

My guess is he’ll start at Aberdeen.  Only 22 games there so far.  But they might move him fast if he’s cruising.  

I would guess that too but I could also see the idea of, new year, new stop. He’s doing so well on Aberdeen, so it may be worth it to send him to AA. He’s just not slowing down, even if the sample size is small.

Im Going to guess/assume he is invited to ST next year and if he shows well there, sending him to AA wouldn’t surprise me at all.

54 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Just you're every day 110 MPH laser home run from an A baller. ;)

He's going to be pretty special.

Is Yordan Alvarez too optimistic of a comp, batting wise, for Basallo?  Big guy with plus power, middle order hitter, etc?  I feel like the one thing the current ML team is missing is a true bopper in the middle of the lineup.  Basallo may be a future version of that, perhaps?

On 9/3/2023 at 6:54 PM, Sports Guy said:

I would guess that too but I could also see the idea of, new year, new stop. He’s doing so well on Aberdeen, so it may be worth it to send him to AA. He’s just not slowing down, even if the sample size is small.

Im Going to guess/assume he is invited to ST next year and if he shows well there, sending him to AA wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Yeah. I actually see very little reason outside of a cold spring to start him in Aberdeen. If I were running things, my plan would be to start him in Bowie. He might be the type of guy to show up in Sarasota and just wow everyone and make that decision easy. That's more likely to me than him looking like a good but not great guy who needs more time in Aberdeen.

33 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Is Yordan Alvarez too optimistic of a comp, batting wise, for Basallo?  Big guy with plus power, middle order hitter, etc?  I feel like the one thing the current ML team is missing is a true bopper in the middle of the lineup.  Basallo may be a future version of that, perhaps?

No, that's not too optimistic at all. Alvarez was coming over from Cuba and missed a year, but Basallo has more game power already than Alvarez had even at 20 years old. He's more athletic than Alvarez as well and has a cannon for an arm. 

At catcher, he's cut his passed balls rate almost in half from a year ago when you look at innings and he's throwing out way more than league average runners. There have been some big catchers and Basallo with his arm and athleticism, I would no longer say he can't stick at catcher. He and Rutschman alternating behind the dish and DH could be pretty special one day.

I don't want to put a limit on his potential because honestly, what he's been doing in Aberdeen, a place where a lot of guys struggle is pretty special right now.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, that's too optimistic at all. Alvarez was coming over from Cuba and missed a year, but Basallo has more game power already than Alvarez had even at 20 years old. He's more athletic than Alvarez as well and has a cannon for an arm. 

At catcher, he's cut his passed balls rate almost in half from a year ago when you look at innings and he's throwing out way more than league average runners. There have been some big catchers and Basallo with his arm and athleticism, I would no longer say he can't stick at catcher. He and Rutschman alternating behind the dish and DH could be pretty special one day.

I don't want to put a limit on his potential because honestly, what he's been doing in Aberdeen, a place where a lot of guys struggle is pretty special right now.

Did you mean to say that's NOT too optimistic, I assume?  The rest of your post reads as to that is what you meant.  I hope so.  Feels like Basallo's skill set is a little bit unique when compared to our recent top prospects, other than maybe Mayo.  Are we thinking 2025 is in the cards for him?  Rutschman/Basallo sharing time like you've described is a pretty drool-worthy thought.

On 9/3/2023 at 6:54 PM, Sports Guy said:

I think he'll start at Aberdeen but I'm hoping for Bowie.  It's reasonable to hope/expect that Basallo can put himself in the discussion for the 2025 OD roster.  And if 2024 breaks right Basallo gets the 8/31 Gunnar treatment.

To continue the Salas discussion, he was promoted to AA after only 9 games of lack-luster performance at A+.  Obviously, that has no impact on his theoretical/absolute ceiling (development impact aside).  But it's interesting to see the different team timelines, priorities and developmental plans.  

15 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Did you mean to say that's NOT too optimistic, I assume?  The rest of your post reads as to that is what you meant.  I hope so.  Feels like Basallo's skill set is a little bit unique when compared to our recent top prospects, other than maybe Mayo.  Are we thinking 2025 is in the cards for him?  Rutschman/Basallo sharing time like you've described is a pretty drool-worthy thought.

Yes, it would be nice of me to use probably the most important word in the sentence! lol 

I don't think 2025 is too aggressive of a timetable if he keeps improving like he has this year. Maybe a mid-2025 thing like Westburg. 

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, it would be nice of me to use probably the most important word in the sentence! lol 

I don't think 2025 is too aggressive of a timetable if he keeps improving like he has this year. Maybe a mid-2025 thing like Westburg. 

At this pace, 2025 may be conservative.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

At this pace, 2025 may be conservative.

I don't think there is much chance he sees the big leagues in 2024 unless there is a sudden need late in the year and he's already playing at AAA well. Next year I could see him end the year in AAA, putting him squarely on the radar for 2025. When you look at how Elias will need to spread the contracts around he won't want all these guys having to get paid with a year or two of each other.

AA is always an interesting test for young hitters. Mayo struggled a bit his first time through at the end of 2022 but tore it up when he returned. Basallo is ahead of Mayo on the age/level/development right now so Elias may not want to push him too hard, especially since he's still learning to hit lefties effectively. He's been getting better at hitting them, but still with not much pop. Gunnar struggled against lefties as well in the minors for the most part.

Agree that 2025 is more likely. Unless he absolutely bullies his way up through Bowie and Norfolk next year and/or is a very late season call up. Like our other prospects, it would be awesome if he did that of course, I just think that with McCann under contract thru ‘24, Elias wouldn’t feel the urge to fast track him - again unless he pulls a Gunnar or Holliday and absolutely forced their hand.