FRANCHY CORDERO,released by O'S on last day of spring training

ace20251

does anyone now why the orioles realeased cordero?he just made the them pay this weekend with 2 hrs and 5 rbi. he was excellent in spring training for the orioles,the yankees picked him up for 1 million for a year and he has been impressive.look him up on espn and he is wearing a O's uniform.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Major league career averages in 741 plate appearances =  223/292/396/688.   And his defense is poor.

Presumably, we knew his career major league stats prior to spring training but we brought him in anyway.  And then he hit what, .413 this spring with a 1.099 OPS in 47 plate appearances?  And then we cut him.  I admittedly don't know much about roster construction, but what was the point of bringing him to spring training (given those career MLB stats) if actually performing very well this spring wasn't going to matter?  Our roster is apparently too stacked to have room for him, but the division winning Yankees had space available. 

Maybe he is off their roster by early May.  Who knows.  But  what we do know is that wins in April count as much as wins in September, and his homer was the game winner yesterday.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

Past doesn’t always equal the future.

And meaningless ST at bats and one ok series doesn’t equal future success either. The larger sample size of what he has done as a professional is far more likely to tell us what he will be going forward.

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And meaningless ST at bats and one ok series doesn’t equal future success either. The larger sample size of what he has done as a professional is far more likely to tell us what he will be going forward.

Then why invite him to ST at all?  Seems to me like interviewing people for a job when you already know who you are going to hire.  

3 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

Then why invite him to ST at all?  Seems to me like interviewing people for a job when you already know who you are going to hire.  

Same reason they acquired O'Hearn, Diaz and Lester.   Depth.   Elias did not know before ST who would be on the IL  on Opening Day.   What if Mountcaste and Santander were both hurt.    Cordero might still be with the O's.  

10 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

They invite guys like this to ST every year. Every team does. There is nothing unique about this situation.

I had zero issues with releasing Cordero when I thought Kyle Stowers was going to be the everyday RFer/DH with Santander. Then, Stowers was given last guy on the bench status and Vavra got starts in the outfield over him. And now, less than 8 games into the season, the Orioles think Bemboom is a better choice to be that guy.

So yeah, if you told me at the end of spring training that Bemboom would be on the roster instead of Stowers and Cordero, I'd say you were utterly insane. 

Yet here we are with Elias logic. When you think playing Aguilar over Stowers wasn't crazy enough, he ups the stakes this season with his absolute mind-boggling roster management a week into the season.

So yeah, if I knew Stowers was going to be given no real chances and then sent out, I would have been ok with Cordero being the 26th man off the bench guy. Heck, maybe they would have even given him a start over Santander once. 

Does seem like his power is a good fit for Camden Yards. But I'm sure Bemboom will be just as good.. lol