The 2023 attendance thread

Frobby

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's over 17K square feet.

You see that one burned out pixel?

So annoying.

Citi-Field.jpg?resize=1024,662&quality=7

I assume that's fairly new and was not original at Citi Field?   Because I don't think it was that big the one time I went to a game there.

I can't remember the exact year off the top of my head, but I can tell you the pitching matchup was Bud Norris vs Bartolo Colon and I think Steve Pearce played 2nd base.

So I believe the board is newer than that.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

The hotel took away the view for some of the city. I want a bigger scoreboard and a better out of town scoreboard. Plus the Orioles in orange on the scoreboard is tough to read during the day. Sound also is an issue. Bathrooms also running out of towels and urinals broken. I don't think the scoreboard should be gigantic but clearer and sharper.

Is $600 million enough to upgrade the scoreboard or is Angelo's going to need even more money?

4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Don't forget about paying all the stadium and warehouse employees, the promo giveaway producers, oaying Sarasota FL, and especially the international complex infrastructure and all it's employees in the Dominican Republic.

There's alot of overhead fans don't even think about. Including powering a 45k capacity stadium with state of the art lighting and jumbo tron with fireworks.

All of what you described times 10 doesn't cost $100MM/year.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Absolutely the hotel did do that.

If they wanted to do a major renovation and tear down the left field upper deck and turn that area into a party deck, they could put a giant scoreboard up there, I just don't see how you are going to fit a bigger scoreboard where the current one is without messing with the aesthetics. 

That would actually make a lot of sense.  Turn a bunch of cheap seats into a premium seating area.  Maybe more than a bigger scoreboard, the O's just need a 2nd Jumbo screen for high lights etc.  I don't want a bigger right field screen as it ruins aesthetics as others have mentioned.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I assume that's fairly new and was not original at Citi Field?   Because I don't think it was that big the one time I went to a game there.

I can't remember the exact year off the top of my head, but I can tell you the pitching matchup was Bud Norris vs Bartolo Colon and I think Steve Pearce played 2nd base.

So I believe the board is newer than that.

Remember when Mo Vaughn hit one off the old scoreboard? BOMB

32 minutes ago, EERinthe804 said:

All of what you described times 10 doesn't cost $100MM/year.

We have lots of threads here discussing the Orioles’ profitability, separate from this thread about attendance.  Based on Forbes’ calculations, the O’s have non-payroll expenses of over $100 mm, which is actually on the low side for most teams.   And the O’s are still very profitable, per Forbes, despite those expenses.  They estimated that the O’s 2022 operating income (which is not quite the same thing as profits, but close enough) was $67 mm.  With an extra 550,000 in attendance, plus playoff revenue they will receive, I’d guess  operating income should be higher in 2023, even though payroll is up about $35 mm this year, per BB-ref.

This is what we know from Forbes. They report Revenue, Payroll + Expenses, and Operating Income (Profit). There is likely some profit from MASN that goes to the Ownership group directly. The Revenue figure includes MASN rights fees I believe. Operating Cost I calculated to see if it was going up under Elias, it is. Payroll+Expenses (Player Expenses) are generally about $20 M over Salaries but some years they push $40 M. Don't know why. Clearly the O's made about $150 M in 2021+2022.

Year Revenue Salaries Payroll + Expenses Revenue - Expenses Operating Income Operating Cost

2014 245 110 122 123 31.4 91.6
2015 239 118.9 137 102 8.8 93.2
2016 253 147.7 162 91 -2.1 93.1
2017 252 164.3 183 69 -26 95
2018 251 143 161 90 -6.5 96.5
2019 256 61.1 103 153 57 96
2020 115 23.9 43 72 -23 95
2021 251 45.7 66 185 83 102
2022 264 44.88 83 181 67 114

On 9/28/2023 at 8:19 PM, AnythingO's said:

This is what we know from Forbes. They report Revenue, Payroll + Expenses, and Operating Income (Profit). There is likely some profit from MASN that goes to the Ownership group directly. The Revenue figure includes MASN rights fees I believe. Operating Cost I calculated to see if it was going up under Elias, it is. Payroll+Expenses (Player Expenses) are generally about $20 M over Salaries but some years they push $40 M. Don't know why. Clearly the O's made about $150 M in 2021+2022.

Year Revenue Salaries Payroll + Expenses Revenue - Expenses Operating Income Operating Cost

2014 245 110 122 123 31.4 91.6
2015 239 118.9 137 102 8.8 93.2
2016 253 147.7 162 91 -2.1 93.1
2017 252 164.3 183 69 -26 95
2018 251 143 161 90 -6.5 96.5
2019 256 61.1 103 153 57 96
2020 115 23.9 43 72 -23 95
2021 251 45.7 66 185 83 102
2022 264 44.88 83 181 67 114

This is helpful but I think the way you labeled a few of the columns is a bit confusing.  I’d call the fourth column “salaries + player expenses” to make clear that it includes salaries the 3rd column. I’d call the fifth column “revenue - player expenses,” because it doesn’t include expenses unrelated to playing the players.   And I’d call “operating cost” “non-player operating cost” since it doesn’t include the salaries and other player expenses.   Anyway, that last column is what addresses EERinthe804’s comment about what the team spends outside of paying the players.  

Edited by Frobby