The 2023 attendance thread

Frobby

104,799 for the opening series with the Yankees.  That compares with 104,788 in a weekend home opener series with New York in 2019.   So, almost exactly the same.  

Interestingly, that season also featured a four-game series with Oakland next, that drew a paltry 30,671 for the four games combined.  The Monday - Wednesday crowds were the three lowest of the season, bottoming out at 6,585 for the Monday game.  Last year, the lowest crowd was 6,678, a May 3 game with the Twins.  So, I think we’ll get some sense of the season ticket base in this series with Oakland.  I assume GRod’s home debut on Tuesday will draw a few people in (I bought tickets).   We’ll see about the other games.  

Edited by Frobby

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

104,799 for the opening series with the Yankees.  That compares with 104,788 in a weekend home opener series with New York in 2019.   So, almost exactly the same.  

Interestingly, that season also featured a four-game series with Oakland next, that drew a paltry 30,671 for the four games combined.  The Monday - Wednesday crowds were the three lowest of the season, bottoming out at 6,585 for the Monday game.  Last year, the lowest crowd was 6,678, a May 3 game with the Twins.  So, I think we’ll get some sense of the season ticket base in this series with Oakland.  I assume GRod’s home debut on Tuesday will draw a few people in (I bought tickets).   We’ll see about the other games.  

I know we well draw more then 30,000 for the series. Weather will be warm and actually hot by Thursday .Also more then Oakland on Tuesday night

Athletics' stripped-down roster was outdrawn by 11 Triple-A teams Tuesday
https://sports.yahoo.com/athletics-stripped-down-roster-was-outdrawn-by-11-triple-a-teams-tuesday-175042872.html

This is a big series. If the O's lay an egg vs. Oakland, they will lose a ton of casual fans who were told the team is good this year, and the O's could be playing catch up on attendance all season. 

I was at Saturday's game against Brito. It sucked man. It was cold, the game was boring and non-descript, the concession lines were long as hell, and I watched hundreds of Yankees fans in the lower level start their chant. The buzz of Opening Day was already completely gone and it was back to Yankee Stadium South. 

The team needs to win consistently to get fans back. Nothing else will work. Orioles fans are fickle and rightly so. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is a big series. If the O's lay an egg vs. Oakland, they will lose a ton of casual fans who were told the team is good this year, and the O's could be playing catch up on attendance all season. 

I was at Saturday's game against Brito. It sucked man. It was cold, the game was boring and non-descript, the concession lines were long as hell, and I watched hundreds of Yankees fans in the lower level start their chant. The buzz of Opening Day was already completely gone and it was back to Yankee Stadium South. 

The team needs to win consistently to get fans back. Nothing else will work. Orioles fans are fickle and rightly so. 

Fans won’t start coming back until the team shows the proper OFFSEASON commitment unless they happen to get lucky and win this year with a mostly homegrown team. 

They will see an increase this year from last year but it won’t be the increase it should have been.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

So the concession lines weren’t just an OD issue. Nice to hear. 

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I know we well draw more then 30,000 for the series. Weather will be warm and actually hot by Thursday .

This got me curious what the weather had been in that 2019 Oakland series.  74, 79, 65 and 53 at game time.  No rain.  So, it wasn’t terrible weather that kept crowds that low.  Just lack of enthusiasm.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

the weather is looking pretty good for April, so it won't be weather related. I expect a pretty good crowd on Tuesday with Rodriguez starting and being his t-shirt day.

You’re probably right … I suspect the attendance to be hot or cold. I don’t think Orioles fans as a whole have bought in yet. The John Angelos BS with the media probably didn’t help. The concessions suck in every way. Not enough staff, long lines, low quality food, and way overpriced concessions. 

Plus you know Angelos isn’t going to approve expenditures….so I wouldn’t expect a Adley or Gunnar early extension. 

And how will crowds react when they leave for the Yankees while Johnny Boy calls us the Rays of the north?

*********And the lease isn’t done and I don’t trust anyone named Angelos *******

Edited by Roll Tide
Forgot the lease