It feels like the Orioles are not quite sure what to do with themselves

interloper

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Orioles have the 29th largest/second smallest payroll in baseball. They are not trying to contend this year. 

I am not sure they are ever interested in contending.  Hard to envision that wallet opening up if it hasn't already. Sometimes, like those extreme coupon folks you see on TV who get a weekly grocery bill down to $30, people can become obsessed with being cheap.

16 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Adley,Wells and Voth went to the Springsteen concert so they knew what to do with themselves.

They play a team that lost 11-0  for two days in a row.They have the worst pitching and hitting in the majors. The schedule on paper looks a lot easier the next few weeks  

Wow you mean a group of 25 year old guys want to have a night out? Who would have ever thought?

54 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Orioles are 4-5 after road trips to Boston and Texas and a home opener series against the Yankees. What did you expect? Maybe one more win? Two? Two of their best starting pitchers are on the injured list as well as two important bullpen pitchers. I mean I hate losing to the MF Yankees  and Red Sox, but what realistically did y’all expect to happen in the first three series? If McKenna doesn’t drop the ball, then the Orioles are 5-4 with two series wins and fans feel a lot better. A lot better. 

If McKenna catches the 27th out in Boston, we are 5-4 with two series wins and a loss against a WS contending Yankees squad. Our victory in that series was a good one and something to build on, so that series loss isn't that horrible IMO. The McKenna game is a real drag at the moment, but the A's, Nat's, Royals and Tigers are all pretty bad, and hopefully we can make some hay over the next 22 games. Winning 14 of those would feel great and not unrealistic.

13 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Come on. Do you honestly believe that the Orioles offseason moves indicate that they are trying to compete this year? 

What moves would have said they re trying to compete?

Which realistic free agent starting pitcher do you think would have made this team better?

11 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The Rays have $74 or so million committed to 8 players in 2024 already. $71 or so million in 2025 for seven players.Wander Franco is signed thru at least 2032. 

What is your point? How does that affect this season?

If the Orioles gave Adley and Gunnar big extensions, would that mean we are trying to compete in 2023?

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

What is your point? How does that affect this season?

If the Orioles gave Adley and Gunnar big extensions, would that mean we are trying to compete in 2023?

For me at least, it would show that they actually cared about winning.  That is the big thing for me.  At the end of the day, I want ownership and the front office to care as much about winning as I do (which is a lot).  And I have not yet been able to shake the feeling that they just don't give a crap about anything other than payroll, profits, and stockpiling low cost prospects.  Hopefully they will prove me wrong.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

What moves would have said they re trying to compete?

Which realistic free agent starting pitcher do you think would have made this team better?

Again, do you really think the Orioles are trying to contend this year? 

There were many moves the Orioles could have made to try to contend this year including signing free agents and trading for players. There are like two hundred threads about those possible moves. But instead the Orioles were very cautious and made a couple of very small moves. They are treading water while they evaluate players and more home grown players develop. 

1 minute ago, JR Oriole said:

For me at least, it would show that they actually cared about winning.  That is the big thing for me.  At the end of the day, I want ownership and the front office to care as much about winning as I do (which is a lot).  And I have not yet been able to shake the feeling that they just don't give a crap about anything other than payroll, profits, and stockpiling low cost prospects.  Hopefully they will prove me wrong.  

Cool. But that has nothing to do with the discussion.

I’m not sure why people keep bringing up the team’s record since the OP was clearly referring to the FO processes and lineups. They seem to have no plan for integrating this top rated prospect class into Baltimore. It’s almost like they’re upset the team got ahead of schedule last year. 

Edited by waroriole
  • Thanks 1