Wednesday April 12: Orioles attempt to win series from Oakland

SteveA

Just now, jdwilde1 said:

Obviously I was joking about Odor, but it appears that this team needs someone to bring a bit of intensity, seriousness, or whatever.  Can you imagine this amount of mental mistakes on a team with Frank Robinson or Rick Dempsey or Kirk Gibson?  Somebody needs a frank discussion with some of these guys because its unacceptable to not have your head in the game all the time.  

Or Eddie Murray, he wouldn't have stood for this from the early 80's Orioles teams.

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

The pitching is awful.  The A's are a AAAA team at best and yet they score at will on our pitching.   This does not bode well for the future.

This bullpen disaster tonight is on Hyde, Perez should of started a clean inning NOT Akin, then now Gillaspie NOT Perez. 

Just now, Winter said:

so burn up one of your most important RPs to protect Voth and Gillaspie lol?

This is what I think the logic was:   game tied 4-4 after 7, Akin already in there and hadn't thrown too many pitches, but probably already enough that he wouldn't be available tomorrow afternoon.

You have to be concerned about the possibility of extra innings at this point.  So instead of going to Cionel immediately to start the 8th, you hope you can get another inning out of Akin, or maybe 2/3 and Cionel could come on to get a last out if Akin gets in a bit of a jam.   If you bring Cionel in to start the 8th you are almost committing to Cionel/Felix for 8 & 9 and then you are left with dregs in extra innings.   If Akin can get you through the 8th you can use one of Cionel/Felix in the 9th depending on whether LH or RH hitters are due, and still have a good bullet in your gun for extras.

So he hoped Akin could get through all or most of the 8th.   And it didn't work out.

Probably not a great decision but not as indefensible as some people here seem to feel, IMO.

• Upvote 1

I wish we had an adult on the team to tell the young dorks that beer bongs is not a good image for your team especially if your going to play like your hung over.   I wish Frank Robinson was here to smack some sense into these guys

The clock appears to have struck 12 on the Perez pumpkin. This is why bullpens are volatile from one year to the next. And you can’t count on repeats from one year to the next. This guy had an ERA in the low 1’s for most of last year. Now…. Not so much.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed, but we're seeing a lot of poor decisions that caused some of this. Poor lineup decisions, poor bullpen management, poor fundamentals in the OF. Garbage game.

I'm ok with the A's winning a game, afterall, they are major leaguers too, but this is embarrassing.

I'm not so sure I can agree.

We won last night due to some Mountcastle heroics, an ultra rare 9 RBI performance that hasn't happened in MLB since 2020 and in team history since 1985.  It was awesome, it was fun, it was something we'll all remember but let's not forget that it took a LOT of heavy lifting from one guy to get it done last night.  

And then to come out tonight and to just **** the bed...you can argue we had the baseball Gods looking out for us last night and tonight they're watching another game.  

I still feel like we should take 3/4 from Oakland but Irvin is starting tomorrow and he's been a trainwreck so far.  If we split, I guess we split but I won't feel really good about it.  Oakland is a team that a GOOD team should take 3/4 from in a 4 game series.  

• Upvote 1