Friday night against the White Sox.

forphase1

8 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

This thought has cross my mind too. You never saw that back in the day. Now even unknown guys are doing it.

I remember being impressed with the Braves closer Mark Wholers just because he threw 97-98 during their 1990s World Series run.

If you think it’s crazy what American Parents are doing with their kids travel ball, plus hitting coach, plus cross for mornings, playing 80 games a year and for multiple team, let me tell you a little something about the kids in Cuba, Ven, DR, and PR.  Kids 9+ are playing baseball 3-4 hrs a day, climbing monkey bars & rope to get arms strong and flipping the biggest tires they can get their hands on to build leg strength.   It’s an obsession, privilege to work with the gen above them who have made it, and a pride like you’ve never seen.  

Don’t think Wholers was doing that at 10y/o. 

49 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I think the modern radar gun is juiced.  You rarely saw 100 in the old days.  Now its everywhere.  I doubt they really throw harder.  I think the new guns are calibrated different.

The new radar guns measure the velocity as soon as the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.  Older guns measured velocity much closer to home plate.  Fastballs will often read 3-5 mph faster than say late 80s early 90s.  So, a Clemens 95 mph fastball would probably read around 100 today. 

There is a great movie called Fastball that you should watch.  

• Upvote 2