2023 Norfolk Tides

Frobby

21 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Eventually one of the Norfolk starters will need to move somewhere to make room for Povich. I know there's usually some debate on getting x number of innings or AB's before a promotion, but he's looking like he's "mastered" the AA level.

What's the latest on Chayce McDermott? He's been in Bowie for a while himself.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Keegan Akin striking out the side with 13 pitches is how you like to see the Arm Barn streamers crushing AAA opponents.

In contrast to the rest of Norfolk’s incompetent bullpen, which did everything in its power to try to give this game away no matter how big a lead the offense gave them.   

I’m not starting a new thread on him yet, but Daz Cameron is suddenly hitting the snot out of the ball.  Over his last 17 games, he’s hitting .349/.417/.651 with 4 doubles, 5 homers and 15 RBI.  His overall line is up to .266/.349/.511.   

• Upvote 2

With Matthew Liberatore up to STL, DL Hall the one remaining SP in the league holding a 30% K rate.

This morning FG sees 44 International League pitchers at 30 innings, the BAL guys K-BB placements are 3-10-12-14-30-41.     Vallimont, Rom and Zimmermann are the 75th percentile types following Hall, and Irvin and Watson are the lower guys.

Managing contact, managing the game or whatever is helping them do it - Watson and Irvin are/were Top 5 in ERA.

Norfolk continues to perform/win despite the injuries *listed below* .  Over the past 10 games, the Tide are 6-4 (33-13) growing their lead by 2 games during that stretch.  The wins aren't coming with the win rate or margins they used to but the losses (Excluding the past two Sundays) seem to be by 1 or 2 runs. Of the other 19 teams in the International League, only Louisville (CIN) & Gwinnett (ATL) are better at 7-3 (23-23 and 21-25 respectively overall) They are 10 & 12 games back respectively as well.  This has provided the Tides with a 6 game lead for the first half.

Haskin - April 18th (Hamstring) - last played 4/16 with AAA. Currently on Rehab assignment with Aberdeen having played 5/23 & 5/24

Cullen - April 24th (Hamstring?) last played 4/22

Lara - May 18th (Unknown) last played on 5/14

Cowser - May 20th (Quad) last played 5/16

Handley - May 20th and May 2nd (Left hand/wrist inflammation)  last played 5/18

Stowers - May 23rd (Right shoulder inflammation) last played 5/21

With the first half of the AAA season ending on June 25th, The Tides have 4 games left vs Memphis, then series against Gwinnett (21-25), Scranton (22-25), Worcester (24-23) and Nashville (24-22)

Hopefully, Handley and Stowers get the treatments and time they need to return 100%.  History shows that those not deemed high on the prospect list aren't given the proper time to heal before returning to play. And 'inflammation' seems like a trainer term for 'not tough enough'.  With that being said, Cowser may be a while to assure his health.  Cullen and Lara are likely biting at the bit to return as soon as they feel they are ready (which likely is too soon).  Haskin may be back when Tides return to Norfolk next Tuesday.  

Over on the WEST Coast... Oklahoma City (LAD) are 34-13 (8-2 last 10) and have a 5 game lead over Reno

• Upvote 2

So last night in the 8th inning, Kolozsvary was hit in the face with a fast ball to lead off the 8th inning.  The announcer spent some time wondering why they weren't running for him.  A lot of attention was paid to Kolo on the way to first and at first before play resumed.   He stayed in the game and then even caught the 9th.

Bemboom took a foul ball to the facemask the night before.  No movement of him coming in to catch. I'm guessing Bemboom is on concussion protocol?

Handley was/is still on IL and haven't seen anything on that being lifted.

That hit on Kolozsvary didn't seem light and I wouldn't be surprised if he was also out for a bit as a result.  Assuming Bemboom is out, Handley is out and Bowie already thin... the Basallo fan base could request a move I suppose?

Who else could catch?  Injuries at all levels it appears.

3 hours ago, CHIP said:

So last night in the 8th inning, Kolozsvary was hit in the face with a fast ball to lead off the 8th inning.  The announcer spent some time wondering why they weren't running for him.  A lot of attention was paid to Kolo on the way to first and at first before play resumed.   He stayed in the game and then even caught the 9th.

Bemboom took a foul ball to the facemask the night before.  No movement of him coming in to catch. I'm guessing Bemboom is on concussion protocol?

Handley was/is still on IL and haven't seen anything on that being lifted.

That hit on Kolozsvary didn't seem light and I wouldn't be surprised if he was also out for a bit as a result.  Assuming Bemboom is out, Handley is out and Bowie already thin... the Basallo fan base could request a move I suppose?

Who else could catch?  Injuries at all levels it appears.

Orioles just made a trade with the Yankees for minor leaguer Jose Godoy, who is starting tonight.

• 1 month later...