Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

42 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I doubt the Angels are selling anyone. They are what, 3 games out of the WC?

As of this moment before the games start tonight, they're sitting at the last Wildcard spot for the 6th seed. The Mariners are 2 games behind them for that Wildcard.

42 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I doubt the Angels are selling anyone. They are what, 3 games out of the WC?

4.5 out of the last WC slot, but with Trout out, who knows how long they stay even that close.  It's still a good amount of ground to make up without one of your best players.

But yeah there's the (significant) chance they decide to keep him.

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

As of this moment before the games start tonight, they're sitting at the last Wildcard spot for the 6th seed. The Mariners are 2 games behind them for that Wildcard.

Ooops I looked at it wrong. They're sitting at the 9th seed in the AL, if there were such a thing. They're 4 games back.

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

4.5 out of the last WC slot, but with Trout out, who knows how long they stay even that close.  It's still a good amount of ground to make up without one of your best players.

But yeah there's the (significant) chance they decide to keep him.

And they want to resign him, usually when a guy is dealt at the deadline odds are pretty low he returns 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

And they want to resign him, usually when a guy is dealt at the deadline odds are pretty low he returns 

Ohtani also wants to win.  I think he's figured out he might not be doing that in Anaheim.  I'm sure he'll happily take 450m to play for the dodgers or yankees or red sox over 500m from the Angels.

If the Angels can't win with Trout and Ohtani then they'll never win without new management.

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I just looked at the Angels' schedule coming up before the trade deadline. They have series with the...

Pirates

Tigers

Blue Jays

and 1 game with the Braves.

I don't think they are losing many of those games, which makes it even more doubtful they are trading Ohtani.

WIthout Trout?  I don't know.  The Jays are better than they are even with Trout.  The TIgers and Pirates wouldn't be with Trout, but without?  The margin is a lot closer.

Best case scenario here is they go 7-3?  Win 2 out of 3 against the Jays and sweep either the PIrates or the Tigers.  They maybe pick up 1 game?  2 at most, but only if all the teams ahead of them don't get hot as well.  2.5 games out of a wild card still isn't great, and that requires getting hot without someone that provides like half your team's offense.

Edited by Hallas

Ben Lindbergh of Fangraphs had 20 friends of the Effectively Wild podcast imagine offers for the various teams as a crowdsourcing exercise - their BAL consultant went Mayo/Kjerstad (one) and Seth Johnson.

They are doing polling on the guesses:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeCzKb0ozvJjNg4ZzS8iEm3nAW7n9fsdWr0YBQppeYuDTKOoQ/viewform

Sal Frelick, Druw Jones, Brooks Lee and Jasson Dominguez were some of the other big names guessed when the guesser tried to keep the number of players lower like the BAL person did.

On 7/20/2023 at 2:51 PM, Roll Tide said:

Sydney Ponson is one I can think of who signed in the off-season with the club that dealt him at/before the deadline. 

Although the Angels have gone 6-2 in their past eight games to get their record back over .500, MLB Network insider Jon Paul Morosi hears that they have continued discussing Shohei Ohtani trade scenarios with teams in recent days, keeping the door open for a potential deal in the final week before the Trade Deadline. Morosi reported that the Orioles and D-backs are among the teams who have inquired with the Angels about Ohtani's availability.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-trades-and-signings?t=trades-and-transactions