Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

And exits the game early with an apparent injury.

Where did you hear about the injury?  

I see that he was pinch hit as DH in the top of the 8th with an 8-2 lead, seems like something reasonable you would do with a guy who has already thrown 11 pitches and batted 8 times on a hot summer day.   On the surface, there's nothing in the box score to indicate he left with an injury.   What's your source?

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Getting Trout back should be a shot in the arm for them.  Rendon, despite still somehow being a well-known name,  is kind of a joke.

But even if they do end up getting to the playoffs, the question then becomes if that's enough to keep Ohtani interested in staying in Anaheim?  I think he's gone no matter what, unless somehow the Angels get to the World Series.

A $38 million/yr thru 2026 kind of a horrible joke. Has appeared in 52, 58, and 47 games--and 43 this year--since coming over after the career yr with the Nats. 

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Getting Trout back should be a shot in the arm for them.  Rendon, despite still somehow being a well-known name,  is kind of a joke.

But even if they do end up getting to the playoffs, the question then becomes if that's enough to keep Ohtani interested in staying in Anaheim?  I think he's gone no matter what, unless somehow the Angels get to the World Series.

If Trout can come back and be Mike Trout, it's like adding a FA bat for the stretch run.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Where did you hear about the injury?  

I see that he was pinch hit as DH in the top of the 8th with an 8-2 lead, seems like something reasonable you would do with a guy who has already thrown 11 pitches and batted 8 times on a hot summer day.   On the surface, there's nothing in the box score to indicate he left with an injury.   What's your source?

It's all over the web. He was holding his lower back and left the field. Grabbing your side can be oblique, they can be rough to come back from. I know they are saying cramps, but it's always nothing until it's something.

image.thumb.png.a3c356b95cb1579b1c95b3d3ad91c9d7.png

Edited by Malike

Today did Shohei Ohtani just have the greatest day in MLB history despite an early exit from doubleheader game 2?

Tonight B-Ref leaderboards give him a 6.8-5.0 lead on Acuna in the WAR--all race.

Stay hot in Toronto before we get there, LAA.    Scoreboard watching I'm not sure who I'd rather see in a 5-game series though.

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Today did Shohei Ohtani just have the greatest day in MLB history despite an early exit from doubleheader game 2?

Tonight B-Ref leaderboards give him a 6.8-5.0 lead on Acuna in the WAR--all race.

Stay hot in Toronto before we get there, LAA.    Scoreboard watching I'm not sure who I'd rather see in a 5-game series though.

If he played even average defense somewhere he'd be over 9 wins probably by now.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

It's all over the web. He was holding his lower back and left the field.

OK, I checked the front pages of MLB.com and ESPN.com before asking and there was nothing.   And both had front page articles on Ohtani's day.   Also nothing on mlbtraderumors.com.

So I'm not sure what "all over the web" means.   Still at work and social media is blocked here.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

OK, I checked the front pages of MLB.com and ESPN.com before asking and there was nothing.   And both had front page articles on Ohtani's day.   Also nothing on mlbtraderumors.com.

So I'm not sure what "all over the web" means.   Still at work and social media is blocked here.

That tweet is from a Sports Illustrated article.