Get rid of “Thank God I’m a Country Boy?”

Frobby

Get rid of “Thank God I’m a Country Boy?”  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should the O’s get rid of “Thank God I’m a Country Boy?”

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/23 at 16:49

2 hours ago, blid said:

I appreciate the tradition enough to not outright hate it or care too much, but it is so out of touch with the city of Baltimore and the state of Maryland, it's bizarre.

Disagree here, of course. TNToriole had a great post earlier in the thread outlining the rural/Appalachian connection to Baltimore, and it’s an important piece of history to understand. 

I’ll also note that I’ve lived in NYC, Boston, DC, Austin and a few places in Florida. None of those places (including Austin) have the historic country/rural influences that Baltimore has or even the direct connection to this day. It’s very obvious talking to people around town or visitors from just outside the city. All that to say, origin aside, I appreciate the song for unintentionally highlighting that.

I also just think the track is a banger.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Malike said:

It's only 6.5 mins long too!

1) You win this thread.

2) Baltimore also gets a shout-out in “Transport Is Arranged,” if we want to go further back into the SM/Pavement catalogue.

3) I’ve been around long enough to witness 0–21, 4–32, 30–3, 47–115, and the myriad other indignities heaped upon us over the past four decades, and I will say it plainly: “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” is easily the most embarrassing thing about being an Orioles fan.

Come at me.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Babkins said:

1) You win this thread.

2) Baltimore also gets a shout-out in “Transport Is Arranged,” if we want to go further back into the SM/Pavement catalogue.

3) I’ve been around long enough to witness 0–21, 4–32, 30–3, 47–115, and the myriad other indignities heaped upon us over the past four decades, and I will say it plainly: “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” is easily the most embarrassing thing about being an Orioles fan.

Come at me.

I'm pretty sure I'll still remember some of those Pavement/Malkmus lyrics when I'm 80. 🤟

Praise the grammar police, set me up with your niece
Walk to Baltimore, and keep the language off the street 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, StottyByNature said:

It's an interesting question.  I am both a believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "just because it's what we've always done isn't a good enough reason to keep doing it."

In this case, I'm not sure the origins of the song's use warrant its continued play.  By the same token, I don't like when a change feels forced.  I do think we are in a sort of rebirth organizationally so it would be a good time to try some new stuff, but hopefully they find a way for it to be organic.  Maybe the song should change annually, like this year they choose something based on the sprinkler theme the players started.  I don't know, but I would let someone more creative than me figure it out.

In the music business, they like to test out new songs with an audience by giving it to them in small doses without it overshadowing the classics in the concert set list. 

I think what the Stadium Authorities can do is play any song candidates they're thinking about, at different spots before (or after) the 7th Inning, just to see how well it's recieved by various crowds. Perhaps they can play it somewhere during the leading up to the 1st pitch once the National Anthem Ceremony is completed? Or maybe play a short clip from the song during the changing of an earlier inning, or once the game is over in the 9th? 

Only way to know how well fans like the potential candidate for a new song is to play it with different crowds.

Per what was mentioned earlier, I like the song Centerfield too, but it's fair criticism to say it's also an over played song. I mean it's 45+ year old song so it kind of defeats the purpose of replacing a 50 year old song.

In any case, I think any new song should keep the fun uptempo vibe that Country Boy had. (Just be a little more modern.) I also think they should include the crowd singing Take Me Out To The Ball Game if they're not still doing that. Every MLB team has that tradition.

1 hour ago, Babkins said:

1) You win this thread.

Come at me.

SM is a genius. Couldn't believe dude has like 5k subs on YouTube.

2 hours ago, Babkins said:

1) You win this thread.

Come at me.

No I’d give most embarassing to the “bird bath” and how the MASN broadcast feels the need to cut to it or talk about it every two minutes.

I like the "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" because it's singable and danceable. Maybe it's time for an update, and that would be fine.

But I think it's important that a seventh-inning stretch song be sing-along-able and preferable that it be dance-on-top-of-the dugout-able. I also think it should be distinctive to the Orioles, ruling out "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and "God Bless America," along with many others. Those are taken.

A little off point, but it's been years (I think) since I posted my favorite baseball song, "My Favorite Spring." Just thinking about it right now makes me a little misty.