Thursday, May 25: Successful road trip ends with final game in New York

SteveA

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Makes it irrelevant.

On the other hand, not having to worry about framing should lead to a small decrease in passed balls and wild pitches.

It won't be irrelevant if there is a challenge system on ball/strike calls

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I honestly don't remember a year when the strike calling was this bad. Especially on the outside part of the plate.

I'm sure that it's a ton better now than it was say twenty years ago.  These guys get concrete feedback after every game behind the plate now. 

Can you imagine the stuff that had to pass for umprirng back when the games weren't even televised?

2 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I honestly don't remember a year when the strike calling was this bad. Especially on the outside part of the plate.

I can’t find an article, but I heard on The Athletic’s baseball podcast that walks are up 20% in AAA because of the robo umps.  That would ruin any of the positive momentum that MLB has built this year. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure that it's a ton better now than it was say twenty years ago.  These guys get concrete feedback after every game behind the plate now. 

Can you imagine the stuff that had to pass for umprirng back when the games weren't even televised?

Go back and watch Kerry Woods 20 strike out game.  Half the pitches the umpire called strikes were six inches off the plate.  The Umpiring that game was horrible beyond belief.  

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

I can’t find an article, but I heard on The Athletic’s baseball podcast that walks are up 20% in AAA because of the robo umps.  That would ruin any of the positive momentum that MLB has built this year. 

It's much easier to tweak software than it is human judgement.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

I think certain hitters and pitchers will benefit a ton more than others.

I also think that MLB can easily tweak what constitutes a strike to get the walk rate they want.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I also think that MLB can easily tweak what constitutes a strike to get the walk rate they want.

Exactly. If they want a 10% walk rate, they'll get there.

I like the randomness of the strike zone, and that sometimes the umpire is obviously completely wrong. It’s a game played by humans—it’s life. In some future game thread we will be complaining about what Illuminati are controlling the robo Ump, or how the humidity affects the LiDAR. Blah.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

1 minute ago, Malike said:

It's much easier to tweak software than it is human judgement.

I just don’t think it’s ready yet.