Tex turns down 8/140 from Rangers

Sports Guy

Way less. You're grossly overstating the tax effect.

Texas' $140M w/ no state income taxes is equivalent to...

$147M in Maryland (highest tax bracket = 4.75%)

$149M in Georgia (6.00%)

$150M in New York (6.85%)

The tax thing is not that big of a deal.

I believe it is even less of a factor. I'm pretty sure that there are several states that have jock taxes which he would still have to pay.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe it is even less of a factor. I'm pretty sure that there are several states that have jock taxes which he would still have to pay.

That's true.

I don't know what states have those laws, but it's another thing in play here.

Too much credit is given to Boras' influence. Tex is always doing local interviews and states almost with an anger that he decides what kind of bargaining happens. Boras helps, but Tex adamantly insists that he decisdes what happens to him and for how much. Typically, I wouldn't believe it, but if you listen to him talk enough...it's pretty convincing. I truly think Tex just wanted out of Texas. He saw that Hicks is doing nothing significant to make improvements and he wants to move on.

I have been preaching for a while Offer A-rod 8/200 with Plate Appearance clauses for two additional years at 30 per year. I would probably go to 8/240. It makes a could deal of sense to lock up A-rod for his run at almost all of the Career milestone numbers he is going to get. I think it only makes sense because of the MASN angle. This move puts MASN on the map IMO.

I don't think this is a bad idea. MASN would have a huge signature player to market, ticket sales at Camden Yards should spike, and you would have a national showcase player if/when A-Rod approaches the home run record. Not to mention having one of the premier players in the game hitting in the middle of the lineup. I'd go this route before I give Tex 20+ per year.

Too much credit is given to Boras' influence. Tex is always doing local interviews and states almost with an anger that he decides what kind of bargaining happens. Boras helps, but Tex adamantly insists that he decisdes what happens to him and for how much. Typically, I wouldn't believe it, but if you listen to him talk enough...it's pretty convincing. I truly think Tex just wanted out of Texas. He saw that Hicks is doing nothing significant to make improvements and he wants to move on.
Exactly. Who wouln't want out of a last place club with an organization he dislikes for a contender where he went to college and his wife's family lives. He probably would take less to stay in Atlanta... if he can stand his mother in law.:D

I'd do 6/126 for Tex. 21 a year. I'd rather do 21 for 6 than 18 for 8. No way would I go 8 years for Tex. No way.

As for Rodriguez, I think I'd do something like 7/196. Maybe more, I'd have to think about it.

Way less. You're grossly overstating the tax effect.

Texas' $140M w/ no state income taxes is equivalent to...

$147M in Maryland (highest tax bracket = 4.75%)

$149M in Georgia (6.00%)

$150M in New York (6.85%)

The tax thing is not that big of a deal.

Oh ok...Thanks Dave.

Thats a ridiculous opinion. We have a better chance than most teams of signing him as a FA. We have tons of payroll room, an owner who is dying to get him, and he wants to play in his hometown.

Saying we have no chance is so ridiculous its irresponsible.

The Orioles haven't come close to breaking the $100 million barrier. What makes you think they'd go far beyond that to get Tex?

Granted, if the O's ever did do this, Tex is the guy they would do it for, which could be a mistake, but I still think it is highly unlikely.

I'd do 6/126 for Tex. 21 a year. I'd rather do 21 for 6 than 18 for 8. No way would I go 8 years for Tex. No way.

As for Rodriguez, I think I'd do something like 7/196. Maybe more, I'd have to think about it.

6/$126M v 8/$144 isn't really a fair comparison since the total amounts are different. If the amounts were the same (or even close) then its always smarter to pay the contract over a longer term. Money is worth more today than it is tomorrow, and its worth more tomorrow than it is the day after tomorrow.

Thank You Jim Hendry and Afonso Soriano!

LOL, this blame is badly misplaced.

The Cubs have signed exactly one free agent to a whopper contract in my lifetime -- Soriano. And the proverbial horse was long since out of the barn when that signing occurred.

There are probably a dozen or more $100M+ contracts you should be shaking your finger at before Soriano's.

The Orioles haven't come close to breaking the $100 million barrier. What makes you think they'd go far beyond that to get Tex?

Granted, if the O's ever did do this, Tex is the guy they would do it for, which could be a mistake, but I still think it is highly unlikely.

They havent come close to the $100M barrier because $100M contracts weren't handed out to lots of players before. Now with the huge influx of cash, more and more guys are gonna be getting that type of money. They've shown they are willing to spend that much with a near $100M offer to Carlos Lee.

Tex has some many additional intangibles working for him. You can't honestly think that we won't make him a 9 figure offer, can you? Of course we are, unless he signs an extension in Atl, which isn't very likely. Maybe someone else will bid more, but I'd even doubt that. If I had to guess today, I'd wager that Angelos will have the highest bid for Teixeira on the table next offseason.

I think that they should make a strong push for Tex when he becomes a free agent. Offer him 7 years at whatever price. But on top of that, we shoul dbe going down the street to under armor and telling them to sign this guy and put him at the front of their baseball advertising. tell them every person working for the o's will have under armor shirts, socks, pants hats, whatever. If we want to compete with teams that spend more money on contracts (MFY, MYRS) we should at least enlist the help of the biggest company in the city which also happens to make sports products

Archived