Kyle Gibson is on a 20 win pace

wildcard

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I know analytically you're right, but a 20-win season is a vestigial hold over from my baseball card collecting youth, when the O's always seemed to have 20-game winners, that would trigger a big dose of nostalgia and serotonin - especially if achieved by a pitcher like  Kyle Gibson who gets outs the old fashioned way.   

dana-carvey-grumpy-old-man.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Great, but he needs to eat more innings and get into that 100-110 pitch area more often. Yesterday while he kept us in the game, he needs to be able to get through the 6th inning. I'm sure he would tell you he was disappointed in himself by only going 5.2 innings in a game where he had a seven run lead.

Gibson has been fine and he's pitching like the 4th/5th starter that he is, but I'd like to see him get deeper into game more often, especially in games where his team gave him a ton of offensive support.

Our starters are serviceable and I'm overall satisfied with how they are doing. I never expected us to have a top level rotation. The problem with throwing 100-110 pitches is it means you're going through a lineup a 3rd time. None of our starters are good enough to be effective for a 3rd run through the lineup. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We got a wall out there. 

Will Gibson and the Wall actually help us land a big time SP?

It definitely could help. A left handed ace could be absolutely dominant in this new park. He'd already take care of the lefties himself and then the wall will take care of the righties to an extent. 

Just now, Mr-splash said:

It definitely could help. A left handed ace could be absolutely dominant in this new park. He'd already take care of the lefties himself and then the wall will take care of the righties to an extent. 

It's going to come down to money.

If the money isn't there it doesn't make any difference.

For most guys that's going to be a down the line concern after money, years, city, team competitiveness... it probably ranks in there with local weather.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's going to come down to money.

If the money isn't there it doesn't make any difference.

For most guys that's going to be a down the line concern after money, years, city, team competitiveness... it probably ranks in there with local weather.

You are almost certainly correct that money ranks highest in the hierarchy of priority. Only question is how much do these other factors matter. Must be up to the individual. I do wonder if the wall can move the needle at all. I suppose it does maybe just a tad. I think all else equal this park is now more attractive to pitchers with the new wall.

The Orioles are not going to pay for an ace pitcher.

I don’t know why people can’t seem to grasp this simple concept but there is basically a 0% chance of that Happening.

Now, they may trade for someone that is a TOR starter with some years of control left but they aren’t spending FA dollars for one.  Zippy chance.

8 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

That's 10 seconds of my life I'll never get back!  :)

That's always a risk when someone clicks one of my music links.

Hopefully your taste in music will improve over time and you will eventually be able to properly appreciate their pure pop goodness.  You really should have hung in there until the 25 seconds mark but it's OK, some folks aren't known for their stamina.

Edited by Can_of_corn

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I know folks like to pooh-pooh wins as a measure of how good a pitcher is, but it would be truly amazing to have a 20-game winner on the staff.  Because wins are wins, and winning is the very best thing a pitcher can do.   In other words, regardless of how good Gibson is or isn’t, I just like to win.   

Now, is Gibson really on a 20-win pace?  He’s won 7 of 12 starts, or 58.3%.  But he’ll probably only make 33 starts at most.   58.3% of 33 is 19.2.   Bummer!

Tell you what, I’d be pretty stoked if he won 19.   

Yes! for me it wd positively associate with the peak 19 Mike Mussina won twice for the 1995, '96 O's, even though they weren't his best seasons in terms of real stats.

Edited by LA2