1/27 Maryland vs. BC

PaulBako

Can I please ask.....what good are the boosters? What are they boosting?

Money. Lots and lots of money. Basically, how the athletic department supports itself (I think they actually put extra money into the main university budget, too).

Dig into how most coaching decisions are made in major college athletics and you won't have to go too deep before finding booster fingerprints over EVERYTHING.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see any evidence, any sign, that this is a tournament team any time in the next few years. So, how many years out of the tournament is enough?
The guardplay is still outstanding. If we get any sort of acceptable performance from the new big men coming in, and/or if one of the guy we already have can step up, we can be a pretty good team.

That won't fix all the problems for the program, but its not right to completely write off the team for next year yet. I'm fine with writing off this season.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. I'd say there is a pretty good chance this team makes the tournament next year since we only lose Neal. With another year of experience for youngsters with promise like Dupree, Burnie, and Bowie, and several seniors with lots of experience, I'd be surprised if the team wasn't able to make the tourney next season.

Of course, if there is even a question of making the tourney with 3 senior starters that have started for a combined 10 seasons then there is a big problem. In other words, it is a backhanded compliment that we can even legitimately debate the issue.

What promise have you seen out of these guys? Seriously, Dupree is helpless out there against legitimate ACC talent.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. I'd say there is a pretty good chance this team makes the tournament next year since we only lose Neal. With another year of experience for youngsters with promise like Dupree, Burnie, and Bowie, and several seniors with lots of experience, I'd be surprised if the team wasn't able to make the tourney next season.

Of course, if there is even a question of making the tourney with 3 senior starters that have started for a combined 10 seasons then there is a big problem. In other words, it is a backhanded compliment that we can even legitimately debate the issue.

Are you being sarcastic? Youngsters with promise, Dupree and Burney?? LOL. That's funny if you are joking....

Dupree was a brain fart. I meant Mosley.

I do think Burney has talent. I really do. He just isn't consistent at all yet and his defensive positioning is poor.

Burney might give defense and rebounding which is what is needed down low. Mosely, yeah, he should already be starting over Hayes.

I can't believe how aggressive Neal is offensively, honestly, he needs to know that he is the LAST option on the floor and his job is to hit open threes and put backs and never ever anything else.

We're apparently watching different games. There's nothing about this team that is outstanding right now.
STARTERS	   MIN	FGM-A	3PM-A	FTM-A	OREB	REB	AST	STL	BLK	TO	PF	PTSGreivis Vasquez, 37	7-20	3-9	1-1	0	5	6	0	1	3	5	18Eric Hayes, 28	1-8	0-5	1-2	0	1	3	1	1	2	2	3Adrian Bowie 38	6-11	0-1	0-2	3	5	2	2	3	1	3	12Sean Mosley  16	4-4	0-0	2-2	2	4	2	1	0	3	2	10

13 assists to 9 turnovers isn't fantastic, either.

I think Bowie is probably a good change of pace guy. I think Vasquez is a very good player on another team. I think Mosley, from what I've seen, is a moderately athletic, heady guy. I think Hayes is lost.

That's not an outstanding backcourt. The real travesty is the waste of Milbourne at the 4 while this team stinks. I feel for him.

Vasquez, Bowie, Moseley, and Hayes will rival any backcourt in the country next year. There isn't any one absolute superstar, but any of the first 3 can be 2nd-team All-ACC types (obviously not all 3 since there isn't enough to go around, but they all have the talent).

It wasn't a problem of effort or execution, other than the fact that the execution suffered because the team was exhausted.

Watching that first half was great, until you realized that Maryland was rebounding well because they were going all out on every play.

In the second half, they got few bounces, they were tired, their spacing was bad and - outside of Mosley, they don't play smart.

It's sort-of a deathly combination.

Vasquez, Bowie, Moseley, and Hayes will rival any backcourt in the country next year. There isn't any one absolute superstar, but any of the first 3 can be 2nd-team All-ACC types (obviously not all 3 since there isn't enough to go around, but they all have the talent).

Hah. Next year? Seriously?

I don't see it. And I seriously doubt Vasquez is back next year.

I think Mosley is a 2nd team/3rd team All ACC type by year four. Bowie's game is one-dimensional.

Hah. Next year? Seriously?

I don't see it. And I seriously doubt Vasquez is back next year.

I think Mosley is a 2nd team/3rd team All ACC type by year four. Bowie's game is one-dimensional.

Yeah those 3 will be excellent next year. I don't think Vasquez can go unless he wants to play in Europe or South America. He's a late 2nd round draft pick at absolute best.

Bowie has made huge strides this year, he doesn't have a good jump shot, but its lazy to call him one dimensional, and I think Moseley will be the best player on the team next season.

If you've got Vasquez, Moseley, Bowie, Milbourne, and Hayes in the 1-2-3 positions most of the time, you don't need an outstanding inside game to be a good team, just a passable one. Obviously the interior play is so woeful this year that almost no amount of guardplay can make up for it, and its certainly possible it won't be good enough next year, but you definitely can't write it off at this point for next season.

Yeah those 3 will be excellent next year. I don't think Vasquez can go unless he wants to play in Europe or South America. He's a late 2nd round draft pick at absolute best.

Bowie has made huge strides this year, he doesn't have a good jump shot, but its lazy to call him one dimensional, and I think Moseley will be the best player on the team next season.

If you've got Vasquez, Moseley, Bowie, Milbourne, and Hayes in the 1-2-3 positions most of the time, you don't need an outstanding inside game to be a good team, just a passable one. Obviously the interior play is so woeful this year that almost no amount of guardplay can make up for it, and its certainly possible it won't be good enough next year, but you definitely can't write it off at this point for next season.

That's wholly uncalled for. He's got a mediocre handle - can't go to his right with confidence - and he doesn't have particularly good court vision. He plays pretty good defense, but when he's not finishing or getting to the rim, he's not a particularly effective offensive player.

I'm not on here bashing Gary supporters and calling them names. Nothing in my description of this game or this team is lazy.

I'm not as positive as Mackus but I'm not this negative either.

Vasquez is not going to the NBA this year. His game just doesn't translate to that league. His best chance is Europe or a hot tourney next year that gets him overdrafted. He'll play all four unless he has issues with Gary and/or the team.

Mosley and Bowie will be better than you think IMO.

You do realize how hard it is to be a 2nd or 3rd team All-ACC guy, right? That's a compliment.

I think - and this is just a guess - that Vasquez goes to Europe.

That's wholly uncalled for. He's got a mediocre handle - can't go to his right with confidence - and he doesn't have particularly good court vision. He plays pretty good defense, but when he's not finishing or getting to the rim, he's not a particularly effective offensive player.

I'm not on here bashing Gary supporters and calling them names. Nothing in my description of this game or this team is lazy.

No, calling Bowie one-dimensional is a lazy description. Its looking at him being a poor outside shooter but a good slasher and making a rash judgment that is inaccurate.

He does many things well on both sides of the court. He is very quick and has played well defensively this year. Is great in the transition game. Is the a good at penetrating the defense and starting offense in the half-court set. Any obviously is probably the best on the team at attacking the rim and finishing. He does way too many things well to be considered one-dimensional unless you are only looking at his poor outside shot.

Archived