1/27 Maryland vs. BC

PaulBako

No, calling Bowie one-dimensional is a lazy description. Its looking at him being a poor outside shooter but a good slasher and making a rash judgment that is inaccurate.

He does many things well on both sides of the court. He is very quick and has played well defensively this year. Is great in the transition game. Is the a good at penetrating the defense and starting offense in the half-court set. Any obviously is probably the best on the team at attacking the rim and finishing. He does way too many things well to be considered one-dimensional unless you are only looking at his poor outside shot.

He doesn't create for others and he can't use his right hand with confidence. I'm sorry - but if we're talking about a slashing point guard who can't stick his jumper with consistency and who has a 1:1 A/TO ratio, then you're talking about a one-dimensional guard.

He plays good defense. Good, not great, defense. He's also limited by an inclination to force things, and a failure to know his own limitations.

Maybe he won't always be one-dimensional. All-ACC? I don't see it.

I can't believe you used "starting offense in the half-court set" to argue against one-dimensionality. I forgot to count that in the skill set of elite guards. I think you just offered your own rebuttal.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure it won't come down to that, of course. Gary will resign at the end of the year.

If he won't, however? I've got no problem losing a bit of booster money if it means teams/recruits that win, graduate, and don't embarrass the university.

Yeah but when some hot shot young coach like Wright, Dixon, or somebody else comes in here, starts getting some of the top local talent and this team gets into the tourney again, the booster money will come right back.

Everybody likes a winner.

Yeah but when some hot shot young coach like Wright, Dixon, or somebody else comes in here, starts getting some of the top local talent and this team gets into the tourney again, the booster money will come right back.

Everybody likes a winner.

It would suck, however, to have to cut a bunch of other teams, or stop work on the improvements to Byrd, or cut the recruiting and overall budget for that new coach, or not be able to hire a good-enough one because they now can't afford it in this economy, in the meantime.

It would suck, however, to have to cut a bunch of other teams, or stop work on the improvements to Byrd, or cut the recruiting and overall budget for that new coach, or not be able to hire a good-enough one because they now can't afford it in this economy, in the meantime.

How about if people stop giving money because of the who the current coach is and how "good" his team is in this economy. Most people have to give the Terrapin Club $2000 a year plus the cost of their season tickets. When do many of those people just stop doing that? See Camden Yard season ticket holders. Did you see how many fans were disguised as empty seats tonight? Yea I know the weather was bad as well, but come on.

The pressure is on Vasquez to lead the team and he never expected to hear boos from the students for his erratic play and bad shot selection. I think Gary and him will both leave at the end of the season. The shot of Vasquez coming out of the game towards the end with a loss staring at them and sitting on the bench and putting a towel over his face with Booth looking at him to see if he was all right was sad. He looked really upset almost to tears and I think he was getting booed. At one point late in the game on the radio Chris and Johnny started to say .....no.no...don't boo. This is college....come on. A caller on the radio after the game and Steve M said they were definitely booing tonight. This could get ugly if they continue to blow games in the second half at remaining home games.

I have said for several years now on here that I still think they miss Kurtis Schultz who was their strength and conditioning coach when they won the National Championship and who toughened the players to give more than they were probably capable of giving each night. Because we don't have a deep bench that Gary is comfortable using the starters are burning out in the second half. Would Kurtis have helped this team? I think he would help Dupree who does not want to mix it up under the basket and can't make layups or close in shots. Hayes looks like he is lost and weak physically. This is a soft team that doesn't appear to be tough mentally or physically. This team is loaded with players that can't shoot the 3 point shot. Why do they bother shooting threes? I think they shoot 20 something percent. I believe they said they were 3 for 17 tonight. Why are we wasting scoring opportunities with poor percentage shots?

If we are going to win another game this season we have to take better percentage shots. We also need to play more guys off the bench to help with fatigue that is costing them games in the second half where we continue to blow leads and run out of gas. We have to try to penetrate more and try to draw fouls. I believe we were 6-10 from the foul line tonight. Ten trips to the line. It should be double that and who knows maybe the trip to the line is to convert a three point play. The outside shots are just not falling. Forget them. If you are reading this Gary maybe you should let the players read it as well. You are probably already telling them what I have said but maybe they need to hear it from someone else.

Vasquez, Bowie, Moseley, and Hayes will rival any backcourt in the country next year. There isn't any one absolute superstar, but any of the first 3 can be 2nd-team All-ACC types (obviously not all 3 since there isn't enough to go around, but they all have the talent).

Usually you're on point, but this a pretty laughable statement. You need to watch some more college basketball if you think this group of guys are comparable with most Top 20 teams backcourts. None of these guys are complete guards and all have severe flaws in their game. As a group they are slow and unathletic, aren't very good shooters, and are careless with the ball and make too many poor decisions.

They can be an above average ACC backcourt and yes if we get any production from our bigs we are a tourny caliber team but once we get to the cream of the crop teams that have quick, athletic guards they would run our guys off the court.

How about if people stop giving money because of the who the current coach is and how "good" his team is in this economy. Most people have to give the Terrapin Club $2000 a year plus the cost of their season tickets. When do many of those people just stop doing that? See Camden Yard season ticket holders. Did you see how many fans were disguised as empty seats tonight? Yea I know the weather was bad as well, but come on.

Those tickets are already paid for. If those tickets aren't renewed next year (and I think we'll hear something about it if they aren't), you'll have a point.

Archived