Does Mountcastle have any trade value?

DocJJ

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t seem to know that judging by what you said.

What I said was I agreed the unlucky thing is tiresome. And that you can't blame luck entirely for a career-worst OPS vs RHP. Some of that is obviously bad ABs, as we've seen. To me he was much more clearly unlucky early in the season, and recently just straight up bad. I wasn't implying that luck had no part in it - of course it does. But it's not everything, and more recently I don't think it's been much of a factor. He just looks lost. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

What I said was I agreed the unlucky thing is tiresome. And that you can't blame luck entirely for a career-worst OPS vs RHP. Some of that is obviously bad ABs, as we've seen. To me he was much more clearly unlucky early in the season, and recently just straight up bad. I wasn't implying that luck had no part in it - of course it does. But it's not everything, and more recently I don't think it's been much of a factor. He just looks lost. 

Most players look lost when they are in a big slump. This is why being obsessed with SSS is so foolish.

And your original statement wasn’t anything close to “blaming the poor OPS entirely on luck”.

No one has ever done that.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Most players look lost when they are in a big slump. This is why being obsessed with SSS is so foolish.

And your original statement wasn’t anything close to “blaming the poor OPS entirely on luck”.

No one has ever done that.

It may not have been, but it's what I was thinking lol. 

Well, so what would you like to see happen with Mountcastle going forward the rest of the year? 

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Honestly, I don’t care if you are tired of it. It’s facts. I know in this day and age, people would rather push a narrative than look at facts but the facts are what they are.

That said, he’s not some great player with better luck..he’s just a better player with better luck.  I have said for a while that trading him by the time his arb 2 season is here should happen. I’m not trying to defend him and act like he’s really good but he’s unquestionably been unlucky and the dimensions in the park are unquestionably hurting his style of hitting.

I think you and Kevin Brown need to go get drinks and hold the first meeting of the "Ryan Mountcastle is Unlucky Apologist Club."

Facts, though.

Edited by Moose Milligan

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

It may not have been, but it's what I was thinking lol. 

Well, so what would you like to see happen with Mountcastle going forward the rest of the year? 

Well, you platoon these guys for now. 

I have been saying all year that a Mountcastle is one of the several guys on the team that shouldn’t be treated as 600 at bat players.  When he gets hot, you play him everyday until he cools off, as you do with any player.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/06/mlbtr-live-chat-803.html

From a recent MLBTR chat: 

Q: What should the Orioles do about Mountcastle?

A: He's making plenty of hard contact, but the results aren't there in part because the approach is just ugly. He's chasing 44% of pitches off the plate and swinging at 58% of pitches in general; the MLB averages are 31% and 47%, respectively. He's never been someone who's going to draw a ton of walks or have a big OBP, but he should be a much better hitter than this. It's hard to revamp that approach entirely on the fly in the big leagues; Mountcastle has minor league options remaining. It's tough to send down someone who was pretty much locked into his roster spot on Opening Day, but if he can't show some refinement he's not going to give them much of a choice.

---

This is kind of what I was saying about how you can't unlucky yourself into this bad of a season. It's both. His approach is bad, so it only compounds on the bad luck. And it's silly of folks like Kevin Brown (who I love) to only harp on the luck. It's time to harp on him having a terrible approach at the plate as well. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/06/mlbtr-live-chat-803.html

From a recent MLBTR chat: 

Q: What should the Orioles do about Mountcastle?

A: He's making plenty of hard contact, but the results aren't there in part because the approach is just ugly. He's chasing 44% of pitches off the plate and swinging at 58% of pitches in general; the MLB averages are 31% and 47%, respectively. He's never been someone who's going to draw a ton of walks or have a big OBP, but he should be a much better hitter than this. It's hard to revamp that approach entirely on the fly in the big leagues; Mountcastle has minor league options remaining. It's tough to send down someone who was pretty much locked into his roster spot on Opening Day, but if he can't show some refinement he's not going to give them much of a choice.

---

This is kind of what I was saying about how you can't unlucky yourself into this bad of a season. It's both. His approach is bad, so it only compounds on the bad luck. And it's silly of folks like Kevin Brown (who I love) to only harp on the luck. It's time to harp on him having a terrible approach at the plate as well. 

Unlucking himself into a 64 strikeout, 12 walk season so far. 

Woof.

3 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

Getting back to the OPs original question, the Angels desperately need a 1B. They just signed Daniel Murphy for god's sake who hasn't played since 2020. That's the only type of team who might be interested in Mountcastle right now. A desperate one. 

And the Angels should have a lot of pitching prospects since they draft pitcher heavy. I think one draft a year two ago they drafted all pitchers.