July is a meat grinder

Baltimorecuse

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Twins also look bad right now. Their lineup has been offensively challenged. Thought after the All Star break would be a killer schedule but looks a little better now. Padres and Mets have not turned a corner yet and are both under. 500. Astros have injuries. The Yankee offense is anemic. 

Coincidentally, I Steve Cohen was on SportCenter saying the Mets could be sellers at the trade deadline if things don't turn around for them. The same can be said for the Padres. I don't know about the Twins, but if we sweep them, the likely hood of them becoming sellers for the trade deadline increases.

And since we are talking trade, I think the Twins trading away Arraez for Lopez can teach us all a valuable lesson. Everyday players who can hit consistently are more valuable than pitchers who only play once every 5 days for half a game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Twins also look bad right now. Their lineup has been offensively challenged. Thought after the All Star break would be a killer schedule but looks a little better now. Padres and Mets have not turned a corner yet and are both under. 500. Astros have injuries. The Yankee offense is anemic. 

Every time we say this going into a series our pitching gets absolutely crushed by said "offensively challenged team." Hopefully thats not the case vs Minnesota as we could use a home sweep. Cleveland, Milwaukee, Oakland, KC (the first series), Cubs all had struggling offenses that for whatever reason looked great against us. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree with your overall assessment of the Yankees, especially if Judge is out.  The Yankees are 13-17 when Judge is not in the lineup.   Their offense is not very good.  

I think you’re being a bit too hard on Volpe, though.  He’s been worth 1.4 rWAR, 0.8 fWAR.  He barely played AAA last year, getting 99 PA with a .718 OPS.   The Yankees pushed him to the majors and he’s held his own, a little light on the bat and quite good with the glove.  Basically, he’s been their Jorge Mateo, except that he’s 22 and still has a lot of time to improve.  

Losing Judge is enormous.  He drives their whole lineup.  Stanton is 33 and OPS+ing 70; LeMahieu is 34 and OPS+ing 85.; Josh Donaldson is 37 (!!) and OPS+ing 72.  Oswaldo Cabrera is making Volpe look like Derek Jeter.  Gleyber Torres is doing okay, but they probably want a bit more than a 107.

The Orioles have to figure a way to score runs off their pitching sure, but I imagine they don't need that much offense.  Some might see it as a rough stretch; I see it as an opportunity to bury the Yanks.

Edited by 25 Nuggets
spelling error
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, terpoh said:

Every time we say this going into a series our pitching gets absolutely crushed by said "offensively challenged team." Hopefully thats not the case vs Minnesota as we could use a home sweep. Cleveland, Milwaukee, Oakland, KC (the first series), Cubs all had struggling offenses that for whatever reason looked great against us. 

Actually looking at the Twins the last few series they gave had a little offense except against the Braves. 18 runs in 4 games against Boston. 12 runs in three games against Detroit.  3 runs in 3 games against Atlanta. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Frobby said:

The O’s are now 14-6 in July, guaranteed to have a winning month with 6 games left to play in the month.  

I've done a linear projection of Oriole performance since 2021, and it looks like they'll achieve Platonic perfection and transcend this reality sometime around June of 2025.

Orioles_perfection (3).jpg

• Haha 2