Zack Showalter 2023

Just Regular

This High School Class of 2022 pitcher has made it to Delmarva to start the 2nd half.

Tonight in his 2nd Shorebird start, he got the K/BB to a nice looking 6/1.

Good game by a 19 year old in full season.    Encouraging sign from a double digit round last year he's gotten there period this year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A real effort delivery guy with a lot of moving parts in that delivery. The game I watched him (not the last one) he was 92-94 but it looks like it his good rise. The slider was inconsistent and he can throw some really bad non competitive pitches at times. 

Saying that, he seems to be able to throw strikes when he needs to and he's getting decent swing miss. It's a good start for him for sure.

• Upvote 3

My impression is that for the money and draft position he’s a nice get but I get reliever vibe also.   I knows how to pitch up in the zone with his fastball.  Could be interesting if he picks up a few more mph as he gets older, stronger, and more experienced.

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

A real effort delivery guy with a lot of moving parts in that delivery. The game I watched him (not the last one) he was 92-94 but it looks like it his good rise. The slider was inconsistent and he can throw some really bad non competitive pitches at times. 

Saying that, he seems to be able to throw strikes when he needs to and he's getting decent swing miss. It's a good start for him for sure.

I definitely look forward to seeing his development, and actual critical assessments of his abilities (rather than just fanboy stuff).

I agree on the "good rise" comment. Fastball looks hoppy.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

@Tony-OH is he a big guy? Does he have a starter's classic frame? Seems to me a young guy with max effort and funky mechanics is an injury risk. The noncompetitive pitches don't worry me as much as the complicated delivery. I'd be interested in seeing where he goes from here.

3 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

@Tony-OH is he a big guy? Does he have a starter's classic frame? Seems to me a young guy with max effort and funky mechanics is an injury risk. The noncompetitive pitches don't worry me as much as the complicated delivery. I'd be interested in seeing where he goes from here.

He's listed 6-2, 195, but he doesn't look 6-2 from the broadcasts. It's so early it's hard to put any real roles on him yet, but that delivery gives me reliever vibes and and injury risk. We'll see if the Orioles can clean that up some more or if he's just one of those guys that can pitch that way. Mike Clevinger is a good example of guy who has proven he can be a starter with a "reliever effort" delivery. 

Either way, he's a nice young arm to follow.

• Upvote 1

Wow he looks very herky jerky after he delivers the ball....very dramatic movements.   I also think at first look that he is a injury risk.  But hell so was Tim Linithcum....so lets drive him like we stole him.  Pedal to the metal!

• Upvote 1

I watched his last game.  He has a funky motion.  Looks like a small dude on TV.  He will throw 3 pitches nowhere near the zone then come back and K the batter.  It looks like he gets really good movement and the delivery has some deception.  Last game broadcast had him 91-93 with the FB.  

• Upvote 2

On 7/17/2023 at 2:11 PM, Jim'sKid26 said:

I don't know about all of you but his name gives me these terrible flashbacks. His middle name is not Encarnacion or Jimenez...is it?

Too soon, too soon. The trauma is still real. Best pitcher at the time on the planet sitting in the bullpen, and he has to bring in Jimenez? If I ever end up in A.A., this is going to be the story of the beginning of my descent.