FA starters available in the offseason

Sports Guy

8 hours ago, deward said:

If we take Elias at his word that he had multi-year offers out for pitchers this past off-season, then he clearly got left behind by the market in every case. I don't see any reason to think this off-season would play out any differently. If they aren't willing to beat (or at least match) other team's best offers for good starting pitchers, then those good starting pitchers aren't coming here. I see no evidence that the team is willing to do that. If they sign anyone, it'll be another Gibson type on a one year deal (that 5.19 home ERA isn't doing a good job of selling me on the idea that just putting mediocre pitchers in front of the wall is a solution; same with Kremer's 5.51 home ERA).

They're going to have to trade for someone to get a meaningful improvement over the current in-house options. 

The Orioles are on the way up. A veteran pitcher looking for winning one could want to sign even if it's not the highest bid.

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No need to in 2024. Wells, Bradish, Means, Grayson, Kremer looks good to me. With Irvin, Povich, McDermott, and Hall as depth. 

If Means is back and Grayson has figured out how to command his pitches on a fairly consistent basis, that doesn't look too bad at all. Now that is not to say if we could get Urias, that I wouldn't do it. But maybe if there is money to be spent we should first explore some extensions (given that we should be staffed pretty well next year).

That's why for this year, IMO we should be looking to go the rental route. Maybe Stroman? Eduardo Rodriguez? Giolito? etc.

50 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

The Orioles are on the way up. A veteran pitcher looking for winning one could want to sign even if it's not the highest bid.

How often does that actually happen though? Pitchers know they're always one pitch away from their career going sideways, they don't want to give up money on the table.