Best series split ever

Frobby

The Yankees are yesterdays team.  There are 2  or 3 teams in the AL East better than them.   And 1 of those teams is us.  That batting order was something else.  Only missing Holiday.  Should be set  for years with only  minor adjustments along the way.  

10 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

36 hours ago Yankee fans were dreaming of a sweep which would have put them in a virtual tie with the Orioles. Now the Orioles leave town with the Yankees having gained exactly zero ground.

It looked like they were well on their way. The vibe these last two nights feels very different. Seeing how much fun Gunnar, CC and JW have together feels pretty good. Maybe it’s infectious. 

I know that it’s two games and going to Minnesota is going to be tough this weekend but it really feels like the shift to a new era is officially upon us. 

• Upvote 1

No.

If games 3 & 4 were swapped with 1 & 2, would you be that satisfied?

Only feels satisfying because it stopped some bleeding and recency bias. But that is not a good Yankees team and was a series that should have been won, if not for pathetic middle relief.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

The Yankees are yesterdays team.  There are 2  or 3 teams in the AL East better than them.   And 1 of those teams is us.  That batting order was something else.  Only missing Holiday.  Should be set  for years with only  minor adjustments along the way.  

Hays, Kjerstad

6 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

I'd caution against overlooking scenarios like healthy returns by Aaron Judge, Nelson Cortes, and Carlos Rodón. We'll know more about Rodón after his first start of the season today against the Cubs. He had a 2.67 ERA with 422 Ks and a 0.998 WHIP over 55 starts in 2021-22. If he is healthy, he and Cole form the type of double-headed monster that any team wants to front a late-season or playoff push. A healthy Cortes is a fine #3.

Also, Vasquez has looked good in his three starts, German threw that perfect game, and altho it's been all downhill or injuries since his 19-8 in 2018, Severino is still only 29 yo. The bullpen has more depth than ours does.

But yes, the Y's lineup is decrepit: it may be the end of the line for Donaldson. Their OF defense looked horrible--another area that Judge's return could improve.

Edited by LA2

12 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I'd caution against overlooking scenarios like healthy returns by Aaron Judge, Nelson Cortes, and Carlos Rodón. We'll know more about Rodón after his first start of the season today against the Cubs. He had a 2.67 ERA with 422 Ks and a 0.998 WHIP over 55 starts in 2021-22. If he is healthy, he and Cole form the type of double-headed monster that any team wants to front a late-season or playoff push. 

Also, Vasquez has looked good in his three starts, German threw that perfect game, and altho it's been all downhill or injuries since his 19-8 in 2018, Severino is still only 29 yo. The bullpen has more depth than ours does.

But yes, the Y's lineup is decrepit: it may be the end of the line for Donaldson. Their OF defense looked horrible--another area that Judge's return could improve.

I agree with this. Can’t overlook them. Rodon is back this weekend. IIRC. However, I don’t think Judge is coming back anytime soon. 

But to Frobbycito’s point, it’s still satisfying. With the way the first two games went, I didn’t know if a split was possible, but leaving NYC without the Yankees gaining any ground after the way the first two games went is pretty great. 

Don't forget that the Yankees will likely be active at the deadline, and likely competing with the O's for the same trade targets. 

I love that Toronto now is even with the Yankees in the WC race. Would be thrilled to see both Boston and New York miss the playoffs.