Miami at Maryland, 1/31

I agree. I hope he can pull a few magic tricks the rest of the way and we can get 20 wins to hopefully qualify for the NCAA tournament. It's not impossible but a few of our players on the bench are going to have to step up if this is to happen. I am referring to Gregory, Tucker and Kim and now Hayes who is coming off the bench. If we can get 25-30 points out of these players combined each game it will kick our points per game up into the mid to upper 70's. I believe we are averaging around 65 points per game which is too low if we are going to win 20 and go to the tournament.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was it just me, or did the whole team play with more energy tonight? I love seeing Mosely, Milbourne, and Bowie on the court together. The half court traps worked great all night. The half court defense was great (at times). And Kim is now my favorite player.

I have issued my fair share of complaints about Gary, but I thought he coached a very good game tonight.

I like Mosley in the starting lineup over Hayes. I liked the substitution patterns. I liked Gregory in at the end of the game over Neal, at least on defense. I thought he sprung the box in one on Miami at a perfect time, not really allowing them to adjust. The zone at the start of the 2nd half threw them off, too.

I think we're going to win most games where Vasquez doesn't turn the ball over once, Neal gets 11 points and Kim gets 5 points in limited minutes. Still, a good win, and good job by Gary.

It might have been ugly if Maryland lost...

Tonight, Gary...

a) Literally came out swinging. Instead of his normal fist pump, he came out, stopped near the out of bounds line, turned to the students, and basically threw a right hook. It was awesome.

b) Got a handshake and a smile from President Mote at the bench after walking over there after the fist pump.

c) Stuck around after talking with Johnny and Chris to stand and listen to the alma mater, when normally he would head back to the locker room. Clearly an extremely emotional game for him, and it was great to be reminded just how much he loves this place - and from the way the fans sounded, loud throughout and chanting his name near the end, how much they love him.

HOF Gary

Just when I think I'm out, he pulls me back in...

Go Terps, Go Gary. Turn it around!

Mosley just keeps getting better and better.

Bowie played well again.

Gregory did a few good things. Kim with two really nice plays (and a lot of others where he looked lost :P)

Milbourne is now the best player on the team IMO.

Vasquez played a good game but he continues to struggle with his shot.

I'm very happy for the whole team. This was a good win against a talented team. MD could have easily swept them this year.

I know lots of us don't like Gary at this point, but how'd you like to root for Miami? All that talent but they play like a playground team. I wasn't impressed at all with their coach tonight.

Vasquez had a GREAT game. First off, he was an Adrian Bowie lay-up away from a triple double. Tonight, he didn't try to do too much and got everybody involved. He was a true leader tonight. If he can play like he did tonight, the Terps are an infinitely better team. He shouldn't be trying to take over games with his shot. He needs to use his excellent court vision to get the rest of the team involved and he did that tonight. Tonight was one of the top 3 - if not best - overall game I've seen out of Grieves.

Also, for my two cents on Gary. Tonight was a classic game for a Gary coached team and went wonders to students like me and fans around to keep him here. It was hard-fought all the way to the finish and the Terps played a great game. Gary certainly brought me out of the "Gary's gotta go" camp. I'm not 100% on either side right now, but I will say if we somehow get Stephenson, then Gary should be staying for a couple more years. If we can get to 7-9 in the ACC (Remember we're 3-4 and 6 of our last 9 games are vs. Clemson, Wake, Dook, and UNC) and we get Stephenson, there is no way Gary should be fired. And, honestly, if the team plays as hard as they did tonight each game for the rest of the year, then Gary should be back next year.

Great win last night. I proud as hell of our boys. Great game!

Tonight, Gary...

a) Literally came out swinging. Instead of his normal fist pump, he came out, stopped near the out of bounds line, turned to the students, and basically threw a right hook. It was awesome.

b) Got a handshake and a smile from President Mote at the bench after walking over there after the fist pump.

c) Stuck around after talking with Johnny and Chris to stand and listen to the alma mater, when normally he would head back to the locker room. Clearly an extremely emotional game for him, and it was great to be reminded just how much he loves this place - and from the way the fans sounded, loud throughout and chanting his name near the end, how much they love him.

HOF Gary

Yeah, I noticed he stuck around for the alma mater. I wonder if what's happened in the last week will sort of spark this team - and spark Gary. Maybe this team can wreck a little havoc in the ACC. If we get to 7-9 (or, dare I say, 8-8) and win a game or two in the tournament, we may be looking at sneaking into the tournament.

Yeah, I noticed he stuck around for the alma mater. I wonder if what's happened in the last week will sort of spark this team - and spark Gary. Maybe this team can wreck a little havoc in the ACC. If we get to 7-9 (or, dare I say, 8-8) and win a game or two in the tournament, we may be looking at sneaking into the tournament.

I think we'd have to go 9 and 7 and do well in the tournament to get into the big dance.

I think we'd have to go 9 and 7 and do well in the tournament to get into the big dance.

I think 8-8 plus 1 win the ACC tourney would get us in.....but, I don't see that happening. Those back to back losses to Miami and FSU really hurt. We are 3-4 right now but we still have four games against UNC, Duke, and Wake. Do any of you see us winning any of those games? I don't. That means we have to win every other game and the chances of that happening are slim to none. We will probably finish around 6-10, maybe 7-9 if we are lucky. While on the topic, I think the only thing that should save Gary's job this year is an NCAA bid.

He has stuck around after a game for the alma mater before. As recently as the win against Georgia Tech a few weeks ago. Gary has battled the media and fans and defended his team and his coaching ability in a manner that often hurts him and recent events have tarnished his image at MD and with supporters. The next 30-45 days should be very interesting at College Park. If it's meant for him to leave the team will lose a lot of games the rest of the season. If he is meant to stay I think the team will battle to help him save his job and we can get 5 or 6 more wins.

Vasquez shot 4-15 including 1-7 from 3 pt land. He was 2-4 from the free throw line. I'm not sure I can think of a situation where a basketball player shot that poorly and I could still say he played "great", but to each their own. IMO, he managed to play a good game despite shooting awfully (27% from the field is awful), because of all the things you pointed out.

Regardless, it was a darn good win and Vasquez played his guts out (along with most everyone else on the team).

I have a player like Vasquez on my high school team. He is a rebound machine, averaging 9.5 a game and also averages 3.2 assists and 2.5 steals, but the kid takes the worst shots and is turnover prone. I am fearful that if I try to reign him in too much I will lose that player who goes all out all the time. I wonder if Gary has that problem with Greivis also. Vasquez by far is the best player and fills the stat sheet, but sometimes he is way out of control.

Vasquez shot 4-15 including 1-7 from 3 pt land. He was 2-4 from the free throw line. I'm not sure I can think of a situation where a basketball player shot that poorly and I could still say he played "great", but to each their own. IMO, he managed to play a good game despite shooting awfully (27% from the field is awful), because of all the things you pointed out.

Regardless, it was a darn good win and Vasquez played his guts out (along with most everyone else on the team).

Shooting isn't the only thing. Vasquez had 11 rebounds and 9 assists to go along with his 10 points. He was one assist shy of a triple double.

I'd say Vasquez had a great game. So did Mosely, Milbourne, Kim and a lot of other players. That's why we won. Mostly everybody had a great game.

Yikes man. If barely winning at home against Miami pulled you back in, you were never really out to begin with.

Well honestly, I had just come around to the idea after the BC game that maybe Gary should be gone. Then I hear all of the things Busta mentioned about Gary coming out swinging and getting the place into a frenzy and also the news of possibly bringing in Born Ready. These are the things I love about the guy and what make him my favorite coach that I have ever rooted for.

I'm just kind of teetering on the edge right now and I don't know which side I fall on. I want things to change, but I want Gary to change them.

Well honestly, I had just come around to the idea after the BC game that maybe Gary should be gone. Then I hear all of the things Busta mentioned about Gary coming out swinging and getting the place into a frenzy and also the news of possibly bringing in Born Ready. These are the things I love about the guy and what make him my favorite coach that I have ever rooted for.

I'm just kind of teetering on the edge right now and I don't know which side I fall on. I want things to change, but I want Gary to change them.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks we really have much of a chance with Stephenson. Terp fans love to get their hopes up when there is just the slightest bit of good news when it comes to big time recruits but it never happens. I expect once a big program knows for sure they will lose one of their current players to the draft they will come in late on Lance and offer him a starting spot and he'll be off to that school.

Archived