Miami at Maryland, 1/31

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, sorry for the delay in responses..

I think we'd have to go 9 and 7 and do well in the tournament to get into the big dance.

I don't know about that. If we make it to 8-8, that'll mean we have at least one - probably two - wins against top 10 teams (Duke/UNC/Wake/Clemson). Add that to a win or two in the ACC tournament and they have a good shot at sliding in IMO.

Vasquez shot 4-15 including 1-7 from 3 pt land. He was 2-4 from the free throw line. I'm not sure I can think of a situation where a basketball player shot that poorly and I could still say he played "great", but to each their own. IMO, he managed to play a good game despite shooting awfully (27% from the field is awful), because of all the things you pointed out.

Regardless, it was a darn good win and Vasquez played his guts out (along with most everyone else on the team).

Grievis Vasquez is not the type of player who should be trying to take over games with his shot. He's just not that type of player. He has the potential to go down as one of the better MD players, but the way for him to do that is to get his teammates involved. The problem is, the Terps don't really have any playmakers, so they're putting it all on Grievis and he's having to take shots when he shouldn't. The Terps have a better chance of winning when Grievis has 11 points, 10 boards, 9 assists, and 0 turnovers than if he goes out and has 25 points, 4 boards, 2 assists, and 5 turnovers. The reason I say he had a great game is because of the way he got him teammates going on the court and because of the emotion he brought to the team.

I agree, either way, it was a hell of a game, and definitely something the Terps can, and should build on.

Archived