2023 Comp Round B (#63): Jackson Baumeister - RHP - (So) Florida State (FL)

14 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

This is where you have to understand that the landscape is changing in College sports. This kid is likely the Friday night starter next year for the Longhorns. $1.2 M may not be all that enticing. His agent might just put Brad Ciolak on ignore while he negotiates a 6 figure NIL deal with the Texas One Fund.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2022/11/10/23451763/texas-one-fund-longhorns-athletics-nil

Condescension notwithstanding, being fully aware of the situation, I think I'd make the phone call.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Condescension notwithstanding, being fully aware of the situation, I think I'd make the phone call.

No condescension intended and please forgive me if that was what you interpreted from my post. I was merely pointing out an issue I thought was relevant. I will word my replies to your posts with more deference in the future. I am sorry to have offended you.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the Baumeister/ Forret/ Ritchie bonus triplet may not work out. Here's hoping for 2 out of 3.

We are now under 22 hours to get this done.  

Baumeister may turn into another McLean (no signing), or might require ALL the overslot money.  Be interesting to see who signs, who doesn't.

The little bit I could find on line would indicate Ritchie is also a long shot.  We'll know tomorrow at 5. 

• Upvote 1

What I've heard about Baumeister.

1) Florida State program was subpar this year.  Probably affected his production.  So why return?

2) Sophomore eligible, but he just turned 21.  So if he returns for next year's draft he would be 22 at the draft.  Not optimum.

So I think he wants to sign, if the Orioles can meet his price.  But he may suck up all their remaining available bonus funds to get him done.  Slot $1.24 MM, O's all in with Baumeister at $2.4 MM.  That would be equivalent to Competitive Balance Pick @ 35 (2.42MM).

I have no guesses at this point.   My gut says Baumester, Ritchie, and Forret all sign because none have made public comments to the contrary. All 3 May come down to a game of chicken between the Orioles and Baumeisters rep.    I could see a Baumeister signing only where he gets all of available funds.   I could see Baumeister unsigned with Ritchie and/or Forest getting all of the available funds.