How Orioles Rookies Have Performed in 2023

johnrambo

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

then once Westburg got really going it could be the right time to call up Cowser. And so on and so forth through the organization.

That's risk aversion reasoning rather than this player is well seasoned and ready.  If all three already had 700 ABs in AAA, would you think the same - one has to acclimate before we give another a shot?  If so, I understand that logic even if I think it hurts the team to waste time not getting what I think will be better players in the lineup sooner.

5 minutes ago, geschinger said:

That's risk aversion reasoning rather than this player is well seasoned and ready.  If all three already had 700 ABs in AAA, would you think the same - one has to acclimate before we give another a shot?  If so, I understand that logic even if I think it hurts the team to waste time not getting what I think will be better players in the lineup sooner.

Let Joey Ortiz get his 500PAs on a 65 win team. We are a 95 win team. The objective now is to win games. Not find out if Joey Ortiz can hit MLB pitching.

1 hour ago, johnrambo said:

Ortiz had a sub .500 OPS. Granted very small sample size and you cant render proper judgement after limited PAs. 

You cannot render judgment at all let alone proper judgment when that small sample size (34 plate appearances) is split across 3 months.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, johnrambo said:

Well then fine. Screw it. Trade him to a crappy team. 

That would be the risk-averse approach.  The we aren't playing to win, we're playing not to lose approach.  I don't agree with it, although I can't say I don't understand that thought process. 

1 hour ago, johnrambo said:

Ortiz had a sub .500 OPS. Granted very small sample size and you cant render proper judgement after limited PAs. But his offensive production (or rather lack of it) just cannot go on. We are a game back of the Rays. I know that Ortiz has a lot of fans. But the bat just wasnt getting it done. It sucks for these guys who werent given every day ABs and allowed the continually fail and improve. But right now being a game back we simply cannot endure the bat Ortiz was providing. And I'm beginning to think the same thing about Mateo. 

Ortiz got a week's worth of ABs, except spread out over 3 weeks. You kicking everyone to the curb after a bad week? 

With  Cowser and Ortiz you can't even attribute their numbers to "acclimatization". They don't have enough ABs to tell you anything. Santander had like a .600 OPS in April.  Both have looked good in the limited ABs I've seen.  

The only one who really looked bad was Stowers, and he was maybe dealing with an injury. 

• Thanks 1

Westburg had a pretty rough weekend, 0 for 8 with 4 K’s, and a couple of bad plays in the field.   It doesn’t dissuade me from wanting to see him play, I’m just noting that his early good numbers don’t look that great now.  

17 hours ago, yark14 said:

Cowser and Ortiz have played just fine given their incredibly small sample size.  They both have shown that their best skills translate to the next level.

What language are you using to translate? .212 BA (Ortiz), .143 BA (Cowser).....I am not saying that they may not be better with more playing time. But, I will say you shouldn't screw around when a team is deep in a playoff run and has been successful without them.  They'll get there chance, but I don't see them increasing the O's playoff odds. Cowser does not look like a CF'er (could change). I was around in Rochester when Grich and Baylor were stuck there. Things will work out for them.

10 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

What language are you using to translate? .212 BA (Ortiz), .143 BA (Cowser).....I am not saying that they may not be better with more playing time. But, I will say you shouldn't screw around when a team is deep in a playoff run and has been successful without them.  They'll get there chance, but I don't see them increasing the O's playoff odds. Cowser does not look like a CF'er (could change). I was around in Rochester when Grich and Baylor were stuck there. Things will work out for them.

Even while not hitting yet, Cowser is getting on base 35% of the time and making an impact scoring 8 runs in 7 games.

• Upvote 1

Re: Cowser.

Offensively, I am passing NO judgement whatsoever. It's stupidly early. He has not even reached a number of ABs where anyone should be registering anything resembling judgement. 

Defensively, my dude does not look like a CFer, and I feel relatively comfortable passing that judgement for now. THAT SAID, he deserves more time to get comfortable before truly rubber stamping it. AND I think he'll be a fantastic LFer in Camden Yards. But so far I've counted at least 3 iffy plays out there, none of which killed us or anything, but yeah. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Re: Cowser.

Offensively, I am passing NO judgement whatsoever. It's stupidly early. He has not even reached a number of ABs where anyone should be registering anything resembling judgement. 

Defensively, my dude does not look like a CFer, and I feel relatively comfortable passing that judgement for now. THAT SAID, he deserves more time to get comfortable before truly rubber stamping it. AND I think he'll be a fantastic LFer in Camden Yards. But so far I've counted at least 3 iffy plays out there, none of which killed us or anything, but yeah. 

So bench Hays and Santandar?