Should Elias look to upgrade from James Mccann?

Greg Pappas

J

ames McCann signed a 4 year / $40,600,000 contract with the New York Mets, including a $600,000 signing bonus, $40,600,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $10,150,000. In 2023, McCann will earn a base salary of $12,000,000, while carrying a total salary of $12,150,000. McCann's adjusted salary with the Baltimore Orioles is $1,000,000

His salary for 2024 is $12.150 million, of which the Orioles will pay $4 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles/james-mccann-14154/

Do we have a better, veteran catcher available?  Or do we keep him for a year  as the backup and then bring up a prospect.

1 minute ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

J

His salary for 2024 is $12.150 million, of which the Orioles will pay $4 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles/james-mccann-14154/

Do we have a better, veteran catcher available?  Or do we keep him for a year  as the backup and then bring up a prospect.

I'm not a big fan of his, but I just don't see this as a need at the moment.  The Orioles owe him too much money and they aren't going to just release him.  As was pointed out, he does know the staff and I think is a decent fielding backup.  

I don’t know what you guys expect from a backup catcher. 

If you can find a defensive stud, he’d probably be starting somewhere. Or at least already in a platoon. If you can find one that’s a good hitter, he’d probably be starting somewhere. 

The backup catcher dilemma is truly one of the weirder obsessions on this board. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If you can find a defensive stud, he’d probably be starting somewhere. Or at least already in a platoon. If you can find one that’s a good hitter, he’d probably be starting somewhere. 

The backup catcher dilemma is truly one of the weirder obsessions on this board. 

Defensive stud catchers that can't hit are usually backups. McCann is quite good defensively, it's not a bad role for him, imo.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's fine as a backup catcher.

He should not get at bats at DH or 1B.

Which was obvious when they acquired him and yet...

He's gotten 106ABs this year. 7 games as DH, 3 as PH and the other 26 games at C. Unless BB-Ref is missing something, I don't think he's played 1B. It's not like he's playing too much.

• Upvote 1

I like McCann's defense and he's a good clubhouse guy. He's not very good as a hitter but he will occasionally get a hit or a home run which can be helpful.

I think what's most important in a backstop/catcher, especially with Adley sometimes showing inconsistent defense, is that thr backup catcher is an excellent defensive catcher and game calller behind the plate. Someone the pitching staff works well with and appreciates. A guy who can hit too would be nice, but not the 1st priority when paired with Adley.  

A guy like that is not going to be a backup but rather some other team's starter. Only way you get an upgrade from McCann is by trading amd paying the expense to lure another team's starter away from them. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

No obsession here.  Just a thought I'd considered and was curious about how others saw it.

So there is a lot of chatter about McCann's 'bunt' yesterday.  So here is Tweet that I am still shaking my head at and I am going to address a few different ideas:

1)  The person quoting Codify's tweet of the bunt should have a participation trophy and/or ribbon as their profile image.

2)  Scottish Orioles is literally the poster child for, "Tell me you never played baseball withouth telling me you never played baseball"

3)  In the post game interview, McCann just mentions that bunting is a skill and he is proud of his skill.  Then I remember that my papa used to say, "Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every not and then".  Yes he went with the intent to bunt but this was 99% luck and 1% skill.

4)  Willing to bet the conversation with Mrs. McCann, after she saw the highlight, wasn't so smooth.

5)  The Top of 9 in hits and 'bunt' turned the story a complete 180 from what it would have been.  Luck is not a measurable anything in the Statcast or sabermetrics era... but maybe it should be?