What is a single World Series victory worth?

Greg Pappas

The Zen of it all, do you get a spotless mind, or would you have to know you made the deal?    We deal those guys for Ohtani and Hader and Snell and Bednar, but as we watch October there is no uncertainty as we beat the Twins, Astros and Braves.

The entertainment of sports is part whether you are the Palmer Orioles, Cox Braves or Friedman Dodgers you may or may not get the dogpile.   

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I clearly stated that those were the prospects remaining in the minors. Cowser is not. The purpose was transparent.  I would not be surprised at all that some would agree to it because in their eyes future years are not as important as a banner. 

I don't disagree with you on that being some people's position as some have stated here.

I'm one of those people who has no memories of an Orioles World Series championship, I was too young to remember the last one. However for me, because we have had so many years of bad baseball since being at Camden Yards, one championship would not make up for going back to the for any extended period of time. Now if you were to say 2-4 championships, then I would be inclined to go that route...lol

If we could be the Astros for the next 6 years and then suck for the 6 after that, I would sign up for that. But not just one single championship. We would be the Kansas City Royals. No thanks to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Gotcha, thanks. I knew about law really liking Basallo. But didn't know that he like Ortiz more than Cowser. 

Agree with him or not, you have to give it to him because he is not afraid to go against the grain.

And to the going into the season stuff, that's not as relevant now, going into the season Mayo nor Kjerstad were ranked nearly as high as they are now. Things change from offseason to season and from one season to the next.

That’s all we have to go by from Fangraphs, and Law didn’t include players in MLB players in his midseason top 60. Just sharing what was out there. 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I don't disagree with you on that being some people's position as some have stated here.

I'm one of those people who has no memories of an Orioles World Series championship, I was too young to remember the last one. However for me, because we have had so many years of bad baseball since being at Camden Yards, one championship would not make up for going back to the for any extended period of time. Now if you were to say 2-4 championships, then I would be inclined to go that route...lol

If we could be the Astros for the next 6 years and then suck for the 6 after that, I would sign up for that. But not just one single championship. We would be the Kansas City Royals. No thanks to that.

Are you saying that trade damns the team into sucktitude for 4-5 years after the WS championship?    If so, I strongly disagree.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Are you saying that trade damns the team into sucktitude for 4-5 years after the WS championship?    If so, I strongly disagree.

Also of note the Orioles are spending basically zero money right now. A World Series win would increase income and potentially the Orioles would have a decent amount of cash or at least more cash to supplement the roster that would include all the exciting young players you listed in an earlier post. I think I would do the trade for a guaranteed World Series. 

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

nor am I generally interested in doing anything like this in the real world where our odds of winning a WS might be significantly improved but not even remotely guaranteed.  

This (the crux of the biscuit). In the real world, give me odds each year (for a 5-6 year window) while playing those top prospects, versus a one and done. Expecially since the "one and done" is really just a single year of greater odds, at best.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No not at all. Because I want the team to make trades/improvements to the roster this season.

But I was making the point that I would accept an Astros like run (or even a SF Giants type championship window) if we had to suck for a while following. What I wouldn't want is to be the KC Royals.

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agreed. That’s the key. If the hypothetical was “win the WS and then absolutely suck for the next decade,” that’s definitely a tougher proposition.

But in this scenario, we’re winning the WS and in position to keep together a pretty young WS winning core and able to keep our baseball operations group intact and would retain the rest of our pretty deep MIL system as well. 

It would hurt to lose those young guys, for whom we have very high hopes. But I’ll take the Birds in the hand over the potential of what’s in the bush.

Edited by e16bball
  • Upvote 1

I want a team that competes and is interesting to watch and follow every year. Keep getting close to and in the playoffs and take your chances, over and over. Eventually you’ll get one. That’s the road I want to be on, not a one and done. 

• Upvote 1

I would do it, provided Mike Elias was allowed to rebuild the farm system.

I don’t do it if we trade all of them, then regress and then Elias is blamed for it and isn’t allowed to replenish the cupboard. He’s done it once, he can do it again, but it’ll take time. Give him that time. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I want a team that competes and is interesting to watch and follow every year. Keep getting close to and in the playoffs and take your chances, over and over. Eventually you’ll get one. That’s the road I want to be on, not a one and done. 

I don't think that this is necessarily true. The Twins haven't gotten one, the Guardians/Indians haven't gotten one, the Rays haven't gotten one, etc. 

Just getting there is not a guarantee of anything. If you don't have the right talent to succeed once you get there and/or get the favorable calls/bounces of the ball/favorable matchups, etc., what you will have is a bunch of postseason misery/heartbreak.

As good of a team as I believe that we have, I don't think we stand a reasonable chance at much postseason success with the roster that we currently have. We don't have the starting staff or quality middle relief that we will need to get by Texas, Tampa, and definitely ATL if we make it that far. All of those rosters are more complete and more talented than ours currently.

Sure.  You’re guaranteeing a flag flying forever.  But that’s not reality.

Would you do a perpetual cycle of 7 years of tanking with a 5 year window of competitive play and a 40% chance of a WS n that window?  That might not be realistic either but it’s a step in that direction.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

So it appears that the purpose of the question is to ask if some fans want to "nuke" our future to ensure success this season?

My question to you is why does that have to be the case? Why do we have to live in a world with such extremes of all or nothing? Can we find a balance between maintaining a healthy future for our org for the longer term and trying to meaningfully add to our Major League team as we pursue trying improve our chances to win a title by acquiring necessary talent?

No my answer to the question is an obvious NO. But I don't think we need to force ourselves into such an extreme proposition.

Also, I have not seen Ortiz evaluated anywhere as a higher rated prospect than Cowser. As always, I could be wrong. But can you show me (post a link) to where that information is coming from?

Ok Delores. 

With the new playoff format, even a team that is one of the top two in their league has only a 1 in 8 chance of winning the World Series. You need to make the playoffs six different years (even if you get the bye every time) before your chances of winning one trophy even get better than 50-50. So, yeah, if there's a path to a guaranteed championship you take it no matter what it is.