What do we do about Jorge Mateo?

OsFanSinceThe80s

On 9/29/2023 at 10:22 PM, 24fps said:

Of the teams in or likely to be in the playoffs only the Dodgers.  I think they would probably start Mateo over Rojas.

The Marlins as well.

So he'd start for two PLAYOFF teams.

Now go look at the rest of the league.  For God's sake, the Yankees were giving Willie Calhoun DH at bats this year,

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...I think Mateo could start for quite a few teams in the MLB. If that's the case, why do some of think he has very little trade value? How much is a starting SS with elite speed and great defense who is as good as a third to a half of the other SS in the league worth?

Well that is the positive spin .. the part where he can’t hit the floor falling out of bed part is in there somewhere too.. he has limited value and he would be a bench player on good teams as he is now for us.  But he might fetch a lower prospect or two. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Well that is the positive spin .. the part where he can’t hit the floor falling out of bed part is in there somewhere too.. he has limited value and he would be a bench player on good teams as he is now for us.  But he might fetch a lower prospect or two. 

But again, he is better than how many other starting SS out there?

31 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Is he good enough for some other team to give up actual value for, elite speed and all?  I think that is the more pertinent question and we have our answer.

The issue was always Mateo vs Ortiz in 2023 for most of us and Elias and Hyde chose Mateo. The W-L record say they weren’t wrong.  Nonetheless I hope they make a different choice for 2024. 

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Yes but that doesn’t mean teams want that to be the case going forward.. because I have a bad shortstop doesn’t lead me to give up much to acquire a marginally better one 

Edited by tntoriole

I am in no hurry to promote Holliday or Mayo to the majors based on their defense.  I think they both have work to do in that areas. Their bats are ahead on their gloves IMO.

Gunnar, Westburg, Ortiz and Mateo are a better fit defensively to begin 2024 IMO.   Mateo fits well as a UIF and possibly a backup CF.    So I am not that interested in Mateo's trade value at this point.   I am much more interested in Urias trade value.

Edited by wildcard

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am in no hurry to promote Holliday or Mayo to the majors based on their defense.  I think they both have work to do in that areas. Their bats are ahead on their gloves IMO.

Gunnar, Westburg, Ortiz and Mateo are a better fit defensively to begin 2024 IMO.   Mateo fits well as a UIF and possibly a backup CF.    So I am not that interested in Mateo's trade value at this point.   I am much more interested in Urias trade value.

You mean like how Witt Jr greatly improved his defense from 2022 to 2023 while in the majors?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You mean like how Witt Jr greatly improved his defense from 2022 to 2023 while in the majors?

With a 2nd division team.    The O's are a 100 win team.  They have players that have proven what they can do.    They don't need to add players with defensive problems.  They know that more than likely players will go through an offensive adjustment period when going to the majors.  So adding too many defense adjustments at the major league level may not be smart.   Let them work on their defense at AAA.

Holliday has not played that much 2B and he is probably not going to move Gunnar off SS.  Mayo still seems error prone at 3B and has not played much 1B.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Is he good enough for some other team to give up actual value for, elite speed and all?  I think that is the more pertinent question and we have our answer.

The issue was always Mateo vs Ortiz in 2023 for most of us and Elias and Hyde chose Mateo. The W-L record say they weren’t wrong.  Nonetheless I hope they make a different choice for 2024. 

I mean, playing Mateo didn't sink the team, but you can't just look at the W-L record and say the correct decision was made. How do we know we wouldn't have won an extra game or two while getting Ortiz necessary MLB experience if we'd gone with him over Mateo?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...I think Mateo could start for quite a few teams in the MLB. If that's the case, why do some of think he has very little trade value? How much is a starting SS with elite speed and great defense who is as good as a third to a half of the other SS in the league worth?

Just because he's a little better than some of the starting SS in the league right now doesn't mean anyone would trade for him.

The only thing it means to me is that some teams have some seriously bad starting SS.

Thank the maker we have Gunnar.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

With a 2nd division team.    The O's are a 100 win team.  They have players that have proven what they can do.    They don't need to add players with defensive problems.  They know that more than likely players will go through an offensive adjustment period when going to the majors.  So adding too many defense adjustments at the major league level may not be smart.   Let them work on their defense at AAA.

Holliday has not played that much 2B and he is probably not going to move Gunnar off SS.  Mayo still seems error prone at 3B and has not played much 1B.

I'll take 2024 Holliday bat/glove over 2023 Frazier at second.  Or Mateo for that matter.

If we can hold serve, or improve, while not impeding Holliday it's smart to do so.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll take 2024 Holliday bat/glove over 2023 Frazier at second.  Or Mateo for that matter.

If we can hold serve, or improve, while not impeding Holliday it's smart to do so.

It gets back to the ultimate question…is Gunnar or Jackson the Os shortstop?  

Jackson has played 25 games at 2b in minors!