Jordan Westburg 2023

interloper

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I would like really like this team to have Westburg try Left and Right field this offseason. He has the speed and athleticism to make a difference there. He would then ensure being in the lineup 5-6 days a week.

He was getting innings in the OF in Norfolk prior to his promotion. I suspect if he plays in the fall he will get some time out there as well as in spring training.

We've had many conversations on the long-term outlook of the O's infield alignments and I think it's fair to say that JW's defense is often overlooked. I think my opinion on Holliday and where he ultimately ends up is pretty well documented at this point but the reason why I think Holliday ends up at 2B (and there's an outside chance that he goes to the OF himself) is not simply because he can't play defense in the infield. He just doesn't profile as strong defensively as some of the other guys, this includes JW. Now, it's also fair to point out Holliday's age and that no one else in the system projects to have that plus-plus hit tool so while guys like JW, Joey, Gunnar, etc. all project to perform stronger on defense, the O's eventually will have to make decisions on what they prefer. If Holliday is a .330 /.850 OPS guy at 22, 23 years old, they may decide that the offensive output is worth a defensive alignment that isn't a strong as other others. Time will tell. 

I'm with @Sports Guy in that I think that in an infield vacuum Joey and JW are somewhat redundant both now and long-term, so something may have to give between the two of them. I don't necessarily look at the current roster and arrive at the conclusion that the org prefers JW to Ortiz though. I think that they value team chemistry more than we realized, that they've wanted Joey to get consistent ABs in Norfolk and that they prefer to stagger promotions in an effort to create the best balance between rookies, young vets and veterans. I think these are all reasons why they've not moved on from Jorge..yet. I don't view either of Jorge or Frazier as 2024 roster players, which is where I think Joey gets the ABs in Baltimore that he wasn't going to get consisntely this year. I think this also opens the door for JW to get more ABs but not exclusively as an IF.  

I could see the O's deploy JW as a Ben Zobrist, playing him once a week almost literally all over the field. This would allow the O's to keep guys fresh in both the IF and OF while getting JW consistent ABs. This is half of why I think that he was prioritized this year over Joey. The O's know that they have a defensive stud in Joey. I suspect that they wanted to see how JW would hold up playing between third and second. The other half is Gunnar's progress at SS. Joey is the premier fielder in the org but Gunnar has REALLY improved this year and narrowed the gap between the two of them.

All in all I think there is a world where all of Gunnar, Holliday, JW and Joey all exist on the roster at the same time. 

Edited by banks703

44 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

We're overloaded with infield prospects.  Something has to give.  However, we can think about this after we win the WS.

We have seen Westburg in the field in the majors.  He appears to be elite at second.  I can't see that Ortiz could possibly be good enough for both Gunnar and Holliday to have to move.  I could see Gunnar stomaching moving for Holliday, but he isn't for Ortiz.  And Ortiz does not appear to be as fast a Westburg or necessarily as good of a hitter.  To me, it seems obvious you trade Ortiz who profiles as a SS so will have more value and keep the known quantity in Westburg.  

So far Elias's MO has been to stockpile guys rather than trade away talent. We also don't have a clear need that would justify trading a talented controlled young guy. He proved last night he can catch balls hit over his head. I'd be willing to give it a shot. At the very least he could become a better version of Frazier that can sub at any position in the event of injuries or slumps.