Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, TradeAngelos said:

Amazing what they write when they aren't on the payroll and have no threat of retribution. Too much to quote out of this one, but one of the last few paragraphs summed it up perfectly. 

https://sportsnaut.com/kevin-brown-suspension-shows-john-angelos-out-of-touch/

Instead, he’s ruining what could be a great thing by not completing tasks, by asserting authority where he doesn’t belong, by not spending money on payroll and extensions and by continually coming across as a spoiled rich kid who must get his way without reproach.

Ultimately, this Kevin Brown “negative stats” disaster is just another swing and a miss for Angelos, who apparently is furious that all this became public.

Really good article.  Worth reading.

My main takeaway from this whole situation is that the organization is not in a stable place.  The on field product has distracted for over a year now and has been a joy to watch.  But there is no way a stable org can have something like this go down + have dozens of national talking heads jump all over it and come out unscathed.   The entire thing makes me feel sick to my stomach and has me questioning why I spend so much time supporting this POS franchise.  

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

Angelos also forced out John Lowenstein. Kept Brooks away from the team for a long time. F this family. Its time to use this as an opportunity to push for a sale of the team

John is not going anywhere. Him and the Governor are working on Camden Crossing. Want federal,state and some private money.Some people have had questionnaires about what they want to see around Camden Yards.Whatever they are planning is top secret even though it involves taxpayer money because when you ask the Orioles or the Governor's office about it ,no comment.

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

As I understand it from very, very reliable sources, this is the ONLY reason he was suspended. Kevin is not only a bright, talented broadcaster, he's a good "soldier" in terms of keeping out of the franchise's politics and policies. This is very unfair and upsetting to him, but he's not the kind of person to fan any flames and will try and put it to rest or keep it on a low key basis by his choice. This young man worked really hard to get this job, and believe me he earned it. He has no desire to make waves. But I think he'll leave if he gets the chance and the offer...and believe me, he'll find work...lots of it, because hes very ,very good at what he does.He's also a GREAT person.

Thank you for your response and I'm no longer trying to imply that there has to be more to it (although that was my initial reaction). Fully accepting that this is the only reason he was suspended, do you have any idea why JA even considered the comment an issue? 

13 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Angelos also forced out John Lowenstein. Kept Brooks away from the team for a long time. F this family. Its time to use this as an opportunity to push for a sale of the team

Again these actions were by Peter Angelos not John.  I have never thought it was fair to blame the sins of the father on the son.  However, this action does feel like the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.  This is what is so upsetting about this.  It does appear there is ZERO self-reflection on this action and he is doubling down about what he has done here.  This is quite depressing.  

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

My main takeaway from this whole situation is that the organization is not in a stable place.  The on field product has distracted for over a year now and has been a joy to watch.  But there is no way a stable org can have something like this go down + have dozens of national talking heads jump all over it and come out unscathed.   The entire thing makes me feel sick to my stomach and has me questioning why I spend so much time supporting this POS franchise.  

Seldom poster; but I agree with you (and many others).  FWIW, I'm an old Baltimore Colts Marching Band alum that lived through that. In the past, Johnny Unitas was always there to light the Christmas tree in Woodlawn.  In the late sixties, all of the seventies, most of the eighties and early nineteens, my family lived off Windsor Mill Road and my parents always commented on the way to Memorial Park as we passed Tucker Lane that Jim Palmer lived there when they moved there in late 1965 into 1966.  Gene Brabender and Harvey Haddix were there also in that time frame (and  a few others that I don't remember).  I didn't adopt the Ravens when they assumed the old Colts stats.  The long-term lease needs to be signed as soon as possible.  I want that resolved now.  As much as I like Kevin Brown, this is secondary as to the Orioles as a whole.  Take care, Eric

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

One of the tweets says they kicked people for this. Guy replies they couldn't have kicked everyone out. Replies that they kicked the proole out who started the chant.

They are insane.  They fail to understand young people.  Males especially.  If they hear that they might get kicked out they will go with a bunch of their friends.  Get real drunk and all start the chant.  

You cant stop it.  

Nothing good is coming next (except hopefully a visit to the World Series this year). We are either stuck with this crap, hoping that great people wander in for a few years before they realize what is up. Or our owner really has gone off the deep end to the point that MLB decides they need to take action. If that is the case,  I have zero faith that the action will simply be to replace the owner. Moving the team out of the Nats market seems the much more obvious choice.

33 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Amen. That is exactly why I say great get all excited, but you are just going to be let down in the end. We have seen this movie before. It never ends well.