Last night's MASN broadcast was downright embarrassing

interloper

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I didn't get agitation, but I did notice in the postgame he made an awkward reference to 2019, immediately caught himself, then walked it back. I had to think he had the KB situation in the back of his head at that moment. If Palmer retires from broadcasting that will be a sad day. 

Palmer is the one guy who is pretty much immune from JA’s pettiness.  He’s an icon in Baltimore and I’m sure he doesn’t need the money.  He’s been fairly critical of past teams without getting any blowback.  I doubt JA would dare to touch him, short of something really outrageous.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Palmer is the one guy who is pretty much immune from JA’s pettiness.  He’s an icon in Baltimore and I’m sure he doesn’t need the money.  He’s been fairly critical of past teams without getting any blowback.  I doubt JA would dare to touch him, short of something really outrageous.  

I wonder what JA would do if Palmer publicly supported Brown...

Palmer seemed a little loose, like he was tempted to say something he shouldn’t, but instead opted for irreverence (his comment on Giancarlo Stanton, for example)

Geoff is listenable as a PBP, but clearly KB is the best. For color,  Ben is great, Olson and Roberts are decent, Brach has some promise but needs more experience, and Devereaux just isn’t a natural talker like Brach seems to be, which I think will be hard for him to overcome and succeed

Clearly, combo of KB and Ben are #1, so of course I assume MASN will minimize that going forward, just because

10 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

That will be awkward.  I doubt that they'll even be allowed to give him a "welcome back,"  they'll probably have to play it like he wasn't even gone.

I assume so. They’re  not broadcasting “the Kevin Brown Story.”   They’re broadcasting a baseball game.  Palmer doesn’t explain where he’s been every time he disappears for a few weeks.  It’s not supposed to be about the broadcasters.  It’ll just be the elephant in the room. 

I'll believe it (Brown returns on Friday) when I see it.  

Or IBIWISI for short. I am trying to get that to stick for a friend.

I know the 8/11 date is what was reported as "expected" to happen, but I just find yesterday's dust-up across all channels to be all JA needs to go the nuclear option and double down until KB is no longer here. Hope I am wrong. 

3 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

I turned it on MLB.tv and when I saw Mike Devereaux was in the booth I switched over to TBS. Greg Olson was outstanding in the booth earlier this year and they think Mike Devereaux is a better option. It's nuts.

Yeah both Greg Olsen and Brian Roberts were better than any of the recent additions they put in the both. It doesn't make any sense to me why they downgraded when they already had solid options if they were going to expand their roster of color commentary guys. 

I love Devo as a player and a person but I don't think the broadcast booth is doing him any service based on all the games I've heard him there. Brach isn't much better either. 

Greg Olson and Brian Roberts did much better in their 1 time appearances in the booth.

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Yeah both Greg Olsen and Brian Roberts were better than any of the recent additions they put in the both. It doesn't make any sense to me why they downgraded when they already had solid options if they were going to expand their roster of color commentary guys. 

I love Devo as a player and a person but I don't think the broadcast booth is doing him any service based on all the games I've heard him there. Brach isn't much better either. 

Greg Olson and Brian Roberts did much better in their 1 time appearances in the booth.

I don't mind the parade of former players... as visitors.  It's nice to see them, hear that they are doing well, get an interesting story here or there.

That'd be fine, if it were a segment where a different former player dropped in during one game a week for 2-4 innings, something like that. 

But hiring them, and using them as broadcasters, when they clearly don't have the training, experience, or charisma to do this on a regular basis, is something else entirely though. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, interloper said:

I'll say this about Jim Palmer, who I love.

If he's going to allow himself to be sidelined in a booth crowded by sports radio hosts and former players with no booth experience, and just be a shell of everything that makes Jim Palmer a great broadcaster, then he needs to retire. I don't want to listen to this version of Jim Palmer - please retire with dignity if this sham company won't provide you with competent talent. 

Speaking of (in)competent talent...Melanie Newman.

I just loved Devo as a player, but he is absolutely cringe worthy as an announcer.  And I don't buy that it's just because he's only done a few games....I hate to say it but he mumbles, talks quickly, and never says anything interesting or of value.  Before hiring a former player, they should work a bunch of college or minor league games to get some experience and see if they have the talent for it.

Brach does have a lot of interesting comments, and especially for players he played with.  But he talks way too fast and doesn't have a broadcaster's voice or cadence.

I hope Ben MacDonald sticks around.  He's both funny and informative.  I just have a hard time believing that anyone like him and KB who are really talented would want to hang around here.  The idea that the <crazy, ego-maniacal > owner monitors broadcasts for "appropriate" stats and/or banter has to be concerning to them.  Considering their talent they would undoubtedly be welcomed and appreciated elsewhere and likely not have any the silly oversight of a kook. 

49 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Olson is scheduled to be the 3rd man in the booth for the White Sox series at the end of this month.

I can agree about Devo. He's too timid. I kind of like Brach though. I feel like he's a real fan of the game and adds some good insight. I think some of the issue is when you put them in the booth with Jim Palmer at the same time. It seems like they don't want to talk as much because they don't want to step on something he might say. I thought Brach did really well in the series against the Mets.