John Means pitching for Bowie tonight?

ace20251

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Nothing super hard hit. He left with a 5-3 lead but the game is tied thanks to Cowser booting a soft ground ball into CF about 50 feet away from him.

I know it’s a Means thread, but Cowser has not looked very good in CF last night or tonight. Either misplayed or took poor routes on several balls hit his way. 

Fastball averaged 91.3, with a max of 93.  The max is closer to what he should be at (last start max was like 92.6 or something)

Average velo still a bit concerning but he seems to be making small improvements here.  I was a bit concerned about his command since he gave up a couple walks, but his zone% was over 50% and he got 13 whiffs on 37 swings, so it seems like everything is there except for the velo.

Not really sure if he needs another tune-up at this point.  One more at most.

Edited by Hallas

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The fact that he only threw 67 pitches in 5 innings is good.  

They posited that in their very in the dark with the big team decisions, that generally when guys are rehabbing in AAA and are pulled with a decent pitch count/outing they usually go up to the big club soon after.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is one of those instances where the use of the team “back of the rotation guy” makes no sense to me.   There are 119 pitchers in MLB (4 per team, essentially) who have thrown 90 innings or more.   Kremer ranks 63rd of all those pitchers in ERA.   In what world is that “back of the rotation?”   And by the way, he’s got a lot more than 90 innings.  He ranks 31st in MLB there, with 154.2.  IMO, he’s at least a very solid no. 3 starter.  

I think we're kind of saying the same thing here.

So considering the stats you cited, he is an average/above average #3 starter, therefore my comment saying he has had back to back "very nice" seasons for a back end of the rotation guy would still be correct, perhaps "great" would be more appropriate than "very nice." And like @clapdiddy said, this was with me fantasizing about what our rotation could be next season. On a bad team, Dean would potentially be the ace of the staff. If he keeps pitching like this and is our 4th/5th starter for the next few years, which I think is what we should be hoping for, then we're in for an awesome ride. 

Means up here for 4-5 before the playoffs is a move we have to make. So they’re making it. At worst, he’s just a blip below what Irvin was giving us. At best, he puts himself into the convo for playoff starters. Especially when matchups and the wall are considered.

It looks like Means’ first start will be on Tues versus Wainwright and the Cards. Wainwright is the worst SP in MLB this year with innings. 

Means was efficient last night and I liked the swing and miss, especially on the changeup which was something I wasn't seeing a bunch of in his earlier starts. 

image.thumb.png.e51c86d2b5d82ee398223f735a3677af.png

His changeup has 3 more inches of vertical drop but 4 inches less of horizontal movement from last year which seems like he's either changed something or it's just how it's working right now.

image.thumb.png.34a002e87844e5427989f1549e72756f.png

He did get a nice 62% whiff on that changeup.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

What is the move we make to add Means?  60 day IL’ing Vavra, or Bautista, to clear a spot on the 40 man?  Optioning one of Hall, Irvin, or Khreibel, for the 26 man move?

I’m guessing it’s Vavra and Hall. We save the Bautista 60 day IL in case we need to add someone to the 40 man for the playoffs. For example Holliday or a 3rd C. MLB would have to approve such a move. That could be why we’re slow playing the Bautista injury news because MLB would almost certainly approve any move regarding a Bautista 60 day IL. Leaves the door open for Jackson. 

8 hours ago, The B&G said:

I think we're kind of saying the same thing here.

So considering the stats you cited, he is an average/above average #3 starter, therefore my comment saying he has had back to back "very nice" seasons for a back end of the rotation guy would still be correct, perhaps "great" would be more appropriate than "very nice." And like @clapdiddy said, this was with me fantasizing about what our rotation could be next season. On a bad team, Dean would potentially be the ace of the staff. If he keeps pitching like this and is our 4th/5th starter for the next few years, which I think is what we should be hoping for, then we're in for an awesome ride. 

I can get behind this line of thinking!

If you think of it, when this season is over, we still have 6 years of control over Grayson, 5 over Bradish, and 4 over Kremer.   That’s a pretty nice luxury.  Four years for Wells, too, if we could ever get to the point where he could stay healthy in the second half of the season.  And, 3 years of control over Irvin.  That’s an awfully nice base to work from, and cheap for a while, too.

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What is the move we make to add Means?  60 day IL’ing Vavra, or Bautista, to clear a spot on the 40 man?  Optioning one of Hall, Irvin, or Khreibel, for the 26 man move?

I’m guessing it’s Vavra and Hall. We save the Bautista 60 day IL in case we need to add someone to the 40 man for the playoffs. For example Holliday or a 3rd C. MLB would have to approve such a move. That could be why we’re slow playing the Bautista injury news because MLB would almost certainly approve any move regarding a Bautista 60 day IL. Leaves the door open for Jackson. 

40 man roster is currently at 39.  They probably option Krehbiel.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can get behind this line of thinking!

If you think of it, when this season is over, we still have 6 years of control over Grayson, 5 over Bradish, and 4 over Kremer.   That’s a pretty nice luxury.  Four years for Wells, too, if we could ever get to the point where he could stay healthy in the second half of the season.  And, 3 years of control over Irvin.  That’s an awfully nice base to work from, and cheap for a while, too.

Plus if McDermott keeps pitching like he has he will be ready or close to ready for a call up to the majors in the rotation.   And Hall will no doubt be stretched out in the spring as a starter.  6 years of control for both those guys.

Edited by wildcard