Should we offer extensions to any of our starting pitchers, either now or in the offseason?

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but you can extend the 3 I said without dealing with the rest. You know they are 3 big parts of your team, so what you do with the rest is irrelevant.

Kjerstad isn’t going to have anything to prove either it appears but that didn’t stop them with Westburg this year, so you never know.

Sure, the extensions aren't dependent on other things.

TBH, I think they're going to look at Westburg and be like that's the model.  That's how we want to do it.

I've become skeptical of the early extension practice in general at this point. How many extensions are truly team-friendly? Because that's what it will take for the O's to extend an offer, and I don't think any worthwhile player takes a discounted rate. Not sure why they would.

I get that it's a gamble, but any player that signs early, IMO, is not betting on themselves, and I'm not all that sure I want a guy like that. Maybe that's a harsh over simplification.

Let the process play itself out. Let guys do what they're going to do and if they earn a mega deal that we can't afford, then we'll let them go or trade them early to keep the pipeline stocked. But maybe there will be a few Matt Wieters types in there that burn out a bit early. Had we signed him to one of our projected early deals, how would that have worked out for us in the long run? He already became the first player ever to accept the qualifying offer (which I realize has happened a few times since then), but I don't think it would have worked out very well for us if we extended him as a rookie.

You have to look too far into the future to extend young guys beyond their TC years, and too much development at the Major League level happens between now and then. 

Who raises the bar AND fits the mold heading?

Gibson, Irvin, Kremer - I think we can raise the bar.

Flaherty, Grayson, Bradish - They have the ceiling we're looking for.  But I think extensions aren't happening with SPs in general.  Not because JA, but because of the higher risk factors for long-term SP deals.  As @RZNJsaid, Grayson maybe for what he might become.  I.E. you're locking in a contract risk for a few years.  

Means.  Assuming he's throwing well to finish 2023, a Means extension would be more about him rebuilding his brand and would be a good PR type move for the org.  A 2-year deal with some type of option (player or team) should be doable.  I think his ceiling is higher than Gibson's too.

Wells falls somewhere in the middle of the matrix.  From a cost perspective, he's extendable.  From a ceiling, he can be a solid 2-3 type.  Is it worth extending him with the floor being an overpriced long reliever?  I don't think he's a priority this offseason.

Operating under two assumptions here: 1 - that an extension wouldn't hinder any young hitter extension possibilities, via some internal Angelos cap, and 2 - that he'd accept a fair deal...

I'd extend Flaherty.  The July/August trend is extremely promising from a guy with his talent, and you'd have next year's rotation solidified.

Means is the only one that makes sense. I think Flaherty will be too expensive.

Edit- If we can get Flaherty for like 3/45 I'd do it. But will Angelos even give a green light for that small amount of money? Instead of going year to year with the Gibsons and Lyles of the world for 1/10 spend a little more and lock down a much better pitcher for the next 3 years.

Edited by G54377

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would extend Means with a one year contract plus an option year.

Why? You have zero idea how he’s going to look next year. Even if he looks ok this year, you still won’t know.

What is the rush?

And if you are Means and you have already signed a cheap 2 year deal after your surgery, why would you sign another cheap contract so quickly?  

Makes no sense for either side.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Means?

I never count on guys that haven’t pitched in two years. I guess it depends on what happens between now and the end of the season. Next season is his last before free agency and if your not going to extend him then this is the year to trade him if he proves healthy and effective for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

Is Michael Wacha a free agent at the end of the season? We face him tonight. That was one guy this past off season I really was hoping we sign him.

The thing that concerns me about Wacha is the same as before. He’s given 15 starts and 85 innings. So he’s another guys you are praying that makes 6. Plus with only 15 starts he’s obviously been on the DL. He has 10 less starts than Gibson

I think the O's think they can ride solid arms through solid performances without paying premium prices.

I could see Elias/Sig breaking their models for all-time great Orioles, but it will take a Mussina-like Orioles performance for any of these guys to really get paid. Rodriguez/Bradish seem like guys who have some shot at that. I don't count a new 1-2 year deal for Gibson et al as that type of contract. They happen every year.

Hopefully the supposedly good arms we have in the lower parts of the minors (and a couple closer) can fill in any blanks.

I would absolutely take Gibson back on a 1 year deal. Under 10 mil. 

I think a lot of the other SP really like Gibson as a vet influence over the staff. He seems to always be having fun in the dugout and as a #5 in a rotation, he does what you need him to do.