Watching O’s games on MLB.TV with VPN

Obando

I cut the cord last year and have been watching O’s games via my MLB.TV subscription with a VPN (I have Express VPN) as needed since then.  I haven’t had any issues watching games up until the first game of the Astros series a couple weeks ago, and ever since then, I have been unable to get the games, regardless of home/away or with the VPN turned on or off.  I have tried troubleshooting with Express VPN and everything is working fine, so I reached out to MLB.TV customer service and they said that the O’s games are blacked out in my zip code (I live in Baltimore County) and even a VPN would not solve the problem.  

I’m curious if any of you have been having the same issue that I have, should you be using the same MLB.TV/VPN system?  I’m really pissed because not only am I no longer able to watch the games (of course it had to happen in an amazing season like this), but I’m wasting money on the MLB.TV subscription and the VPN, which is the sole reason why I purchased both in the first place after deciding to cut the cord.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to combat this issue?

I second dystopia's advice.  Also clear your cache and cookies for mlb.tv.  A separate browser configured to clear all data on shut down is very useful so you don't erase cookies that you want to keep.  Use a different browser for those apps.

3 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I second dystopia's advice.  Also clear your cache and cookies for mlb.tv.  A separate browser configured to clear all data on shut down is very useful so you don't erase cookies that you want to keep.  Use a different browser for those apps.

Yes, I have tried changing the source country for the VPN and it hasn’t made a difference.  It’s just strange that it was working fine up until about 2 weeks ago, and ever since then I just can’t get it to work.  I have even tried deleting the MLB app and then reinstalling, and it hasn’t changed anything. 

How do I clear the cache & cookies for MLB.TV?  I use the MLB app on my iPhone & iPad to watch the games, so how do I use a separate browser and configure it to clear all data on shut down?  Would it make a difference if I tried watching on a Mac or PC?

1 minute ago, hydropups said:

Mlbbite is a pain, but it’s been a godsend as a youtubetv subscriber with no MASN access

I am a YouTube TV subscriber as well with no MASN access.  Do you live in Baltimore like I do?  If so, how are you able to get the games on MLB.TV with the blackout restrictions?  Do you have a VPN?

I live south of Las Vegas, and am blacked for all Padres, Angels, Dodgers, Giants, A's, and Diamondback games. I had been using Private Internet Access VPN and could usually find a combination of browser / private window / clear cookies / VPN location that would work when O's are playing those teams. As of about a week ago, no joy.

It's amazing the lengths MLB will go to, to keep fans from watching their games.

3 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

I live south of Las Vegas, and am blacked for all Padres, Angels, Dodgers, Giants, A's, and Diamondback games. I had been using Private Internet Access VPN and could usually find a combination of browser / private window / clear cookies / VPN location that would work when O's are playing those teams. As of about a week ago, no joy.

It's amazing the lengths MLB will go to, to keep fans from watching their games.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ unfortunately.  Maybe there's a betting line on who can see what games in what areas :)

8 minutes ago, Ridgway22 said:

I’m sorry to hear you are having this issue as well.  If only MASN would allow for paid streaming without needing a cable subscription, that would solve this problem, but unfortunately that doesn’t appear to be in the cards anytime soon.  

Regardless, we as fans shouldn’t have to go to these great lengths to watch our teams play, and especially not when we’re paying good money for it and still have roadblocks preventing us from doing it.  It’s a total money grab and should be outlawed.  

4 minutes ago, Obando said:

I’m sorry to hear you are having this issue as well.  If only MASN would allow for paid streaming without needing a cable subscription, that would solve this problem, but unfortunately that doesn’t appear to be in the cards anytime soon.  

Regardless, we as fans shouldn’t have to go to these great lengths to watch our teams play, and especially not when we’re paying good money for it and still have roadblocks preventing us from doing it.  It’s a total money grab and should be outlawed.  

I would absolutely pay to legally watch O's games. MLB.tv works fine except against those 6 teams, but damn it, we're in a pennant race and if I would have missed last night's epic inning, it would have made me grumpy. It's really not that difficult to find alternatives, but I would strongly prefer to pay and do it above board.

13 minutes ago, Malike said:

Not all VPN's are the same, unfortunately. I traveled a lot, so I needed a VPN that would work with MLB.TV and Netflix. NordVPN is where I ended up and I haven't had any issues with blacked-out MLB games.

Have tried a few different VPN's, will try Nord today. Thx.