Watching O’s games on MLB.TV with VPN

Obando

When I was in CT, I got blacked out of all MLBTV games against NYY and BOS. With the schedule at the time, that meant I missed 38 games a season. I tried all sorts of VPN apps on my Fire Stick, but none of them consistently worked. The only thing that worked every time was the VPN that Norton 360 included in their software suite. Had to watch those games on my laptop but it was a workaround. 

In my new married life, I live in MA so I don't get blacked out of NYY games, and we have NESN in our cable package. 

I used to do this and had the same frustrations. It’d work for a few weeks at a time and then all of a sudden not work. It was incredibly frustrating. 

Eventually got tired of it, bit the bullet and got DirectTv streaming.  It was fun sticking it to the man for a bit but ultimately exhausting trying to get that thing set up to work. I had like 5 different VPNs at one point. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm giving MLBTV a try w/ Nord VPN.  The final straw was thinking I would be able to see an ESPN+ road game for the O's.  No!  I used a separate browser and changed location.  Will let you all know if it works.

NordVPN (and other streaming apps) were big disappointments for me. Never seemed to work. It's as if MLBTV somehow has learned to defeat those types of apps. 

Norton 360 worked for me on my laptop. Sound delay of a second or so which was annoying, but at least I could watch the game. 

On 8/20/2023 at 10:32 AM, Obando said:

I cut the cord last year and have been watching O’s games via my MLB.TV subscription with a VPN (I have Express VPN) as needed since then.  I haven’t had any issues watching games up until the first game of the Astros series a couple weeks ago, and ever since then, I have been unable to get the games, regardless of home/away or with the VPN turned on or off.  I have tried troubleshooting with Express VPN and everything is working fine, so I reached out to MLB.TV customer service and they said that the O’s games are blacked out in my zip code (I live in Baltimore County) and even a VPN would not solve the problem.  

I’m curious if any of you have been having the same issue that I have, should you be using the same MLB.TV/VPN system?  I’m really pissed because not only am I no longer able to watch the games (of course it had to happen in an amazing season like this), but I’m wasting money on the MLB.TV subscription and the VPN, which is the sole reason why I purchased both in the first place after deciding to cut the cord.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to combat this issue?

I use a different product and don't have issues if I connect to IP's that are not proxied, they are direct. On my system they appear differently in the icon for the various sites. 

Edited by Fan4Life

On 8/21/2023 at 6:04 AM, Jagwar said:

When I was in CT, I got blacked out of all MLBTV games against NYY and BOS. With the schedule at the time, that meant I missed 38 games a season. I tried all sorts of VPN apps on my Fire Stick, but none of them consistently worked. The only thing that worked every time was the VPN that Norton 360 included in their software suite. Had to watch those games on my laptop but it was a workaround. 

In my new married life, I live in MA so I don't get blacked out of NYY games, and we have NESN in our cable package. 

There are other ways to watch the games... when you are forced to look outside the required norm.. there are options

Edited by Fan4Life

On 8/20/2023 at 7:45 PM, Malike said:

If MASN is available on your cable provider they'll be happy to take your money and then you can watch to your hearts content. I can't get MASN in NY so I have to get MLB.TV.

It isn’t where I live and MLB TV still blocks me out .. .. and why should I have to get cable service anyway to watch MLB?