Chicago White Sox Series

Jim'sKid26

I had said earlier in the week I wanted to win the division and would be disappointed if they didn’t win it.  However, if they win 100 games and Tampa wins 101 I can’t really complain.  At least it isn’t 1980 which I remember vividly when we won 100 games and didn’t make the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Monday 7:05 pm; Grayson (3-3, 5.38, ERA+=78) vs. Michael Kopech (5-11, 4.95, ERA+=90)

Tuesday  7:05 pm; Dean (12-5 4.31, ERA+= 97) vs. Jesse Scholtens (1-6, 4.15, ERA+=107)

Wednesday 1:05 pm; Kyle (13-7, 4.89, ERA+=85) vs. Dylan Cease (5-7, 4.81, ERA+=92)

On paper these look like rather even pitching matchups. Obviously the W/L numbers notwithstanding. 

After watching the Colorado series I am hesitant to make a prediction. The last game should be entertaining. 

Interesting that our pitchers only have one name now. Cher,Bono,Grayson,Sting,Dean,Drake and Kyle 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I believe Chris Getz just has an interim tag, and a GM search is coming.

Maybe Sig Mejdal is just the man to get Dylan Cease into an Oriole uniform.

The guys Reinsdorf finally let go of - I get the overall impression they held their guys as long as Duquette/Buck, and they still didn't do much July 31.

Cease, Eloy and Robert - I wouldn't be shocked if its just a matter of time before they are moved.

Jerry Reinsdorf is an icon in both the MLB and the NBA. He was inducted into the Basketball hall of fame. His reputation is that of an intensely loyal owner who takes care of his people. He kept Rick Hahn and Kenny Williams in their respective baseball operations jobs well past when they became ineffective. He appears to be in a battle with the City of Chicago over the current stadium. 

https://business.gwu.edu/how-covid-19-shook-the-cactus-league-jerry-reinsdorf

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Interesting that our pitchers only have one name now. Cher,Bono,Grayson,Sting,Dean,Drake and Kyle 

I didn't think you needed extra help this far along in the season but:

Grayson is Grayson Rodriguez.

Dean is Dean Kremer.

Kyle is Kyle Gibson.

There. Feel better? 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I didn't think you needed extra help this far along in the season but:

Grayson is Grayson Rodriguez.

Dean is Dean Kremer.

Kyle is Kyle Gibson.

There. Feel better? 😉

Well, we do have two Kyle’s in our starting rotation, though I could tell from the ERA which one you meant.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking back over the last several weeks of results for the White Sox.  They've been swept twice this month (by the Rangers before they collapsed, and by the Brewers).  They lose most series, as indicated by their record.  They haven't won a series since going 2-1 over the Yankees 8/7 - 8/9.

Realistically, we should be able to take this series.  A sweep would be a nice bonus. 

4 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Monday 7:05 pm; Grayson (3-3, 5.38, ERA+=78) vs. Michael Kopech (5-11, 4.95, ERA+=90)

Tuesday  7:05 pm; Dean (12-5 4.31, ERA+= 97) vs. Jesse Scholtens (1-6, 4.15, ERA+=107)

Wednesday 1:05 pm; Kyle (13-7, 4.89, ERA+=85) vs. Dylan Cease (5-7, 4.81, ERA+=92)

On paper these look like rather even pitching matchups. Obviously the W/L numbers notwithstanding. 

After watching the Colorado series I am hesitant to make a prediction. The last game should be entertaining. 

Kopech has been pretty bad of late, 6.86 ERA in his last 10 starts with 41 walks in 42 IP.   Back in April, he allowed 3 runs in 5 innings against the O's and was no-decisioned.   Rodriguez also pitched in the April series, allowing 4 runs in 5 IP and getting bo decision as well.

Scholtens mostly pitched in relief this year until being installed in the rotation in August.  Since then, he as a 5.25 ERA in five starts.  He hasn't seen the O's this year.   Kremer hasn't faced the White Sox, either.

Cease also has struggled lately, 7.85 ERA in his last 6 starts.   He faced the O's in April and was no-decisioned, allowing 4 runs, 2 earned, in 6 IP at a time when he was pitching very well.   Gibson allowed 4 runs in 5.1 inning against the Sox in the April series, and also was no-decisioned.

The ChiSox bullpen, has been quite bad, with a 4.77 ERA (12th in the AL) and a league-worst 47% save rate. 

Offensively, the White Sox average 4.16 runs per game, compared to 4.92 for the Orioles.   They carry an 86 OPS+, compared to 105 for the Birds.   

One thing I've noticed the last couple of years when we play the White Sox is their defense really stinks.  They are graded at -53 Rtot, -37 Rdrs, -8.4 UZR, -14 OAA.   

Overall, I like our chances in this series, especially if we are patient at the plate and make their starters work.  But it's baseball, and anything can happen.  I'm taking nothing for granted.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'll be OK if the O's win 2 out 3 the rest of the way.  Seriously, if the O's are winning series, what is there to complain about?

When you are in a tight race, you want to win every game you can against the worst teams. Winning series is great but after losing to Colorado yesterday, I feel a sweep is more of a pressing need.

Edited by Sports Guy

42 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Kopech is a guy who would be a buy low candidate to me. Two years left of team control after this year. 

Pass. Get someone more proven, either through trade or FA. Gray-Rod, Bradish, Kremer, and Means are likely all locked in for the rotation next year. 

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The grocery store's the super mart, uh huh
Little girls still break their hearts, uh huh
And men still keep on marching off to war
Electrically, they keep a baseball score

That line seems so quaint now, like it's from the 1920s or something.