Chicago White Sox Series

Jim'sKid26

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Kopech is a guy who would be a buy low candidate to me. Two years left of team control after this year. 

Electric stuff.

This organization is an absolute train wreck. Losing any games to them would be awful. 

Edited by Sports Guy

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

One thing I've noticed the last couple of years when we play the White Sox is their defense really stinks.  They are graded at -53 Rtot, -37 Rdrs, -8.4 UZR, -14 OAA.   

Tonight’s game was a good example of Chicago’s shoddy defense.  Luis Robert made a great diving catch on Adley’s liner in the LCF gap, but otherwise, fheir defense was atrocious.  No errors but they missed several 50/50 plays and gave us 4-5 extra bases.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tonight’s game was a good example of Chicago’s shoddy defense.  Luis Robert made a great diving catch on Adley’s liner in the LCF gap, but otherwise, fheir defense was atrocious.  No errors but they missed several 50/50 plays and gave us 4-5 extra bases.  

Robert Jr is +11, so that means everyone else is -25 on OAA?  Ouch.

One interesting tidbit about the White Sox Tuesday night starter Jesse Scholtens is that he has significant reverse splits. He's RH, but lefties are only hitting .211 / .293 / .257 off him this year while right handed batters are at .293 / .340 / .536. If Hyde loads up on the normal LH heavy lineup he might be doing his team a disfavor. On the other hand Scholtens' last two starts were against Oakland and Colorado, and they smoked him both games so it may not matter. 

11 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

So you’re a “buy high” kind of guy? 

Obviously I don’t want to trade for someone who is likely to regress, but we have position player prospects who have no future here on the major league roster due to surplus and they need to be traded. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Kopech does have options. My subjective eye test did not like his body language though. He has a history of punching teammates and a PED suspension. Not enough talent to justify risking a toxic dude around our guys. 

I think he's leading the league in walks. Hard pass.

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Electric stuff.

This organization is an absolute train wreck. Losing any games to them would be awful. 

He’s a guy I’d certainly take a flyer on for the right price should that be an option. My only hesitation would be that I don’t think he’d beat any of the five assumed starters going into next year: Means, GrayRod, Bradish, Kremer* and Wells/Irvin. You can never have too much pitching though and a guy like Kopech could allow them to slot Wells into the bullpen to begin the year though I don’t know if that’d make sense from a workload perspective.

Kopech is a certainly capable of pitching better than his number this year. On that dumpster fire team, I wonder how many of their guys packed it in from the get-go. I’d be interested to see what the O’s pitching coaches and analytics could do for a guy like Kopech. 

Edited by banks703