Teddy Sharkey

Anlbdz

I haven't seen any threads on him outside of his draft one but for some reason I'm irrationally interested in seeing what this guy can do. The tape on him is absurd and he's exactly the type of closer I'd hate... if he played for someone else. It's always nice when the spaz is your spaz. Anyways, early returns are encouraging - 12k 6ip, 0er albeit at lower levels. Anyone seen him or have seen reports on what he's looked like in out there? Could he be a fast moving bullpen guy who's up in a year or two? 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would be very surprised but pleasantly if he was in our pen next year.  He did very well in Delmarva but dominating low A ball is a long way away.  I would keep an eye on his walk rates as he advances.  I like the pick and he looked good but I don’t expect a meteoric rise.   If he can reach AA next year and do well that would be a great season.

Per Baseball America from an article on the 10 best debuts of pitchers from the 2023 draft class.

Teddy Sharkey, RHP, Orioles
Highest Level: Low-A

Sharkey had an up-and-down college career at Coastal Carolina, but used an excellent 2023 season, where he set career-bests in strikeout and walk rates to earn a seventh-round selection and $215,000 bonus. 

He started one game and threw 10 innings in total, without allowing a run and with 16 strikeouts and three walks. Sharkey’s fastball didn’t have the same vertical ride that he had in college, but he sat in the mid 90s with the pitch and still generated an above-average 31.6% miss rate.

He showed impressive feel to spin two breaking balls in college, and that remained the case in his pro debut. He throws a mid-80s slider that was a more effective pitch and more consistently in the zone, but his 80-mph curveball also looks like a quality breaking ball and a reliable weapon with late-biting action and downer finish at its best. Analytically, the slider was an effective pitch in terms of getting whiffs in zone and inducing chases outside of it. If his fastball shape looks closer to the college version in 2024, he’ll have a trio of extremely loud weapons to work with. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2023 at 7:40 PM, Sports Guy said:

He may have been my favorite pick in this past draft. I’m expecting him to move quickly.

Im guessing he will be working with somewhere like Driveline this off-season .

Does the team pay for players to attend these places in the offseason, or is it the player?

per Baseball America.

The Phillies’ Orion Kerkering ascended from a 5th-round pick with command issues to one of the best young relievers in baseball this season. It’s unusual to see a pitcher climb all the way to the major leagues in his first full season following his draft year, but it’s happened with greater regularity in recent years. Kerkering, Spencer Strider, Ben Joyce and several Angels pitchers have all made the jump from the draft to the big leagues the following season over the last three years.

Who could make the jump this year? Are there any potential Kerkering or Joyce-level talents in this year’s class that can help a big league club in 2024? Below we’ll examine a handful of pitchers who can potentially pitch in the big leagues in 2024.

Levi Wells, RHP, Orioles: High octane stuff will help you move quickly, but a competitive organization looking for depth is a perfect recipe for a rapid ascent. Wells has stuff in bunches with a fastball that can sit 93-95 mph out of the pen with plus vertical break on the fastball. He uses his hard curveball to change eye levels and play off of the ride on his heater. Command has plagued Wells as a starter, and he looks like a dark-horse candidate to storm through the minors as a reliever. 

Teddy Sharkey, RHP, Orioles: Few college relievers saw the success that Sharkey did at Coastal Carolina. After striking out 74 batters over 49.2 innings, the Orioles selected Sharkey in the seventh round and assigned him to Low-A after a single appearance in the Florida Complex League. Sharkey mixes a four-seam fastball at 95-97 mph with late cut, a mid-80s slider with cut and a power curveball in the 79-80 mph range with heavy depth. In his professional debut, Sharkey had whiff rates above 30% or higher across his fastball, slider and curveball in his pro debut. With a trio of power pitches and little chance of starting long term, Sharkey could move quickly and help the Orioles’ bullpen by the end of the season. 

P.S.  The Orioles had 2 of the 8 pitchers mentioned plus Andrew Walters who we picked but didn’t sign from the 2022 draft.

• 4 months later...

I saw Sharkey pitch in a Twin Lakes game last week against the Pirates - pretty sure it was A level.  His stuff was as advertised.  Breaking pitches with plenty of depth and movement.  Command seemed a bit off as he walked one. I will say, even though he’s not a huge guy, he has a presence on the mound. Like it or not, “Kimbrelesque”. You envision a potential closer when you watch him pitch. 

There were some scouts with radar guns on him, but they were busy working and talking, so I didn’t want to interrupt and ask what they had his offerings at. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1